Capital Projects and Planning
Photos above, left to right: New Wing Luke Elementary School, modernized and expanded Daniel Webster School, and modernized and expanded Daniel Bagley Elementary School
SPS Capital Projects and Planning Department
The Capital ProjectsDistrict capital assets through construction and remodeling projects. More and Planning Department supports the district’s Strategic Plan by building and modernizing schools so they support high-quality instruction and learning experiences.
When we build a new building, modernize an existing school, or construct an addition, the project is planned to meet the district’s educational standards as well as the specific needs of the individual school.
Our primary goals are:
- To strengthen and streamline capital project management
- To wisely manage the use of building capacity
- To enhance cost-effective use of capital resources
Capital Levy Planning
Planning is in progress for the next capital levy, Building Excellence VI (BEXBuilding Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. VI), which is expected to be on the ballot in February 2025.
Capital Levy-Funded School Construction Projects
School construction projects and building improvements are funded primarily by voter-approved capital levies. Visit the construction project pages to see where work is underway.
Buildings, Technology, and Academics/Athletics Capital Levy V (BTA V) is a six-year $783 million levy providing funds for projects that improve our school buildings, technology for students, staff, and teachers, and changes to support academic achievement. It also funds school playground and playfield improvements, and replacement of the stands at Memorial Stadium. This levy was approved in 2022, with a 78% approval. BTABuilding Renovations, Technology and Academic/Athletics Levy provides resources for seismic improvements, roof V expires in 2028.
Building Excellence V Capital Levy (BEXBuilding Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. V) a six-year, $1.4 billion levy that modernizes or replaces eight aging schools, plans for the future, invests in technology, and improves building systems and athletic fields. It was approved by Seattle voters in 2019. BEXBuilding Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. V expires in 2025.
Student and Community Workforce Agreement (SCWAStudent and Community Workforce Agreement supports business objectives and prioritizes career development, More) with priority hire provisions will apply to construction projects that are at or above $5 million in estimated construction value. The SCWAStudent and Community Workforce Agreement supports business objectives and prioritizes career development, More supports business objectives and prioritizes career development, training, and employment for SPSSeattle Public Schools More students.
- Projects completed in 2022 include seismic improvements, building system upgrades, and playground replacements, which were mostly completed during the summer months.
- Construction is underway on school replacements and additions.
- Planning is in progress for additional BEXBuilding Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. V-funded school building replacements or major improvements.
- A groundbreaking ceremony and school celebration was held for the beginning of the Rainier Beach High School replacement project.