Daniel Bagley Elementary Modernization and Addition Project
- Construction start: Summer 2019
- School opened: Fall 2020
Project Complete – Virtual Celebration
The project is complete. Teachers and staff moved in during the month of August 2020. View the virtual ribbon-cutting ceremony and tour.
About the Project
Daniel Bagley Elementary opened in 1930. Prior to this project, the school was designed to serve 353 students. This project renovated the existing building and added two additions. With the additions, the school is now 58,000 square feet for up to 500 students. It consists of the 39,000 square-foot historic elementary, 13,000 square-foot classroom addition, and 6,500 square-foot gymnasium addition. The design reflects Bagley Elementary’s educational priorities by emphasizing daylighting, providing many small group breakout spaces, and delivering flexibility for educational programs.
When it opened in 1930, Daniel Bagley School resembled other schools built in the same time period with some key differences. Art Deco cats, dogs, squirrels, and owls cast in stone decorate the exterior. Other examples of Art Deco design appear in the cast stone projections over the main entrance.
The Seattle Landmarks Review Board designated the building exterior, and some internal features as historic landmarks, including the student dining hall with its multicolored carved and painted beams, carved wood stage proscenium, and tall windows. Care was taken to preserve or restore these landmarked features.
Modernization of the historic building provided opportunities to improve safety and security, ensure the school is accessible to all, and to update building systems and technology. Design and construction included seismic upgrades for earthquake safety, bringing it up to current building codes. Bracing was added to brick walls, and the walls were anchored to the foundation. All other unreinforced walls, including interior walls between classrooms, were replaced or reinforced for safety.
New interior vestibule doors at the historic entrance allow administration office staff to control entry to the school. Throughout the school, modern doors and locks replaced the old ones.
Renovated classrooms include new flooring, paint, sinks, cabinetry, and technology. Cubbies provide a place for student belongings. Hall lockers were removed, providing space for breakout alcoves and student displays. Hallways in the classroom addition also include spaces for small group work. A staff room, conference rooms, and teacher work rooms were added.
The new, full-size gym addition opens directly into a new covered play area. The former gym and multipurpose room have been converted into the new school library. The former play courts have been leveled and enclosed, and they will now serve as music and art space that looks out onto the playground.
The two-story classroom addition includes eight new classrooms, learning commons, and small group learning spaces.
To provide a clear distinction between the old and the new, both additions are set back from the original building. The color palette for the contemporary exteriors draws from the warm, variegated colors of the historic brick.
Care was taken to preserve and protect four cedar trees that were planted in 1930 when the school opened. The additions were designed around these trees. One incense cedar stands over the school garden near the new gym. The classroom wing is adjacent to a second, dramatically branching incense cedar, with a faceted wall facing the tree. Large windows in the second-floor learning commons look directly into the tree. Two western red cedars stand directly east of the classroom addition.
The new heating and ventilation system is designed for staff and student comfort. Two high-efficiency boilers pipe warm water to fin tubed radiators to provide heat throughout the building. Radiators in the classrooms are concealed in casework under the windows. Outside air is brought in through two dedicated air handling units, filtered, and then distributed throughout the building. Classrooms are served by a displacement ventilation system. This means that the air being supplied to classrooms is brought in quietly to create a comfortable environment. Air leaving the classrooms is exhausted outside through a heat exchanger conserving energy for the District. Air in the classrooms is exchanged four times per hour. While there is no mechanical cooling, two classroom fans help provide cooling air movement in the warmer months, and they help distribute the warm air in colder months.
Plumbing, electrical and low voltage systems have also been updated throughout the building. All lighting is high-efficiency LED.
Design: Miller Hayashi
Construction: Lydig Construction, Inc.
Construction Management: Sheils Obletz Johnson (SOJ)
Funded by Building Excellence IV (Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More IV) Capital Levy, which was approved by Seattle voters in 2013, and Buildings, Technology, and Academics IV (Building Renovations, Technology and Academic/Athletics Levy provides resources for seismic improvements, roof More IV) Capital Levy which was approved by Seattle voters in 2016.
Daniel Bagley Elementary
7821 Stone Avenue N.
Seattle, WA 98103