Rainier Beach High School Replacement Project
The existing Rainier Beach High School will be replaced with a new high school building on the same site. The construction will be done in phases so the school can remain on campus during the project.
- Pre-design phase complete
- Schematic design phase complete
- Design development phase complete
- Construction documents/permitting phase in progress
- Bid and award phase complete
- Phased construction: April 2022-August 2026
- Phase 3 in progress
- School moves into western 70% of new building: August 2025
- Phase 4 begins August 2025
- Project complete 2026
School Design Advisory Team (SDAT)
Early in the design process, representatives from the school community come together to form a school’s SDAT. SDATs typically include school and district staff, parents, students, and community members. The project construction managers also take part. Due to the timing of the Rainier Beach SDAT, meetings were held virtually. Read more and review the meeting minutes.
A virtual community update about the Rainier Beach High School project was held on June 16.
Progress updates are posted for the previous month.
Major Activity in October 2022
- Continued installing geothermal wells and utility trenching
- Continued work on existing building on gym exterior
- Continued rough grading activities
- Began installing aggregate piers
Major Activity Planned for November 2022
- Continue geothermal wells and utility trenching
- Complete work on existing building
- Begin geo pier and mat slab installation
About the Project
Rainier Beach High School will be replaced with a new four-story high school of approximately 297,000 square feet. When completed, it will provide permanent space for 1,600 students grades 9-12. Students will remain on-site during the phased construction. A regional Skills Center is being incorporated into the project as well as a district data center. The project is being built with aspirations of a LEED Platinum certification.
Design Firm: Bassetti Architects/Moody Nolan Architects
Project Management Firm: Parametrix
General Contractor: Lydig Construction
Project Budget: $238.2M
Funding Source: Funded by the Building Excellence V Capital Levy (Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. V), approved by Seattle voters in 2019 and the Buildings, Technology, and Academics/Athletics V Capital Levy (Building Renovations, Technology and Academic/Athletics Levy provides resources for seismic improvements, roof V), approved by Seattle voters in 2022.
Parametrix Manager: Paul Popovich, email@example.com, 253-208-7831
Rainier Beach High School
8815 Seward Park Ave. S
Seattle, WA 98118