Rainier Beach High School Replacement Project
The existing Rainier Beach High School will be replaced with a new high school building on the same site. The construction will be done in phases so the school can remain on campus during the project.
- Predesign phase complete
- Schematic design phase complete
- Design development phase complete
- Construction documents/permitting phase in progress
- Bid and award phase complete
- Phased construction: April 2022-December 2026
- Phase 3 in progress
- Estimated move into western 70% of new building: January 2025
- Phase 4, construction of Performing Arts building expected completion June 2026
- Phase 5, field installation expected completion December 2026.
See a story about the construction tent being used for winter and spring construction activities.
Progress updates are posted for the previous month.
Major Activity in August 2023
- Completed installation of geothermal wells.
- Completed underground utilities, below-grade waterproofing, and placement of concrete mat slabs.
- Began steel erection on east portion of new school building.
Major Activity Planned for September 2023
- Continue steel erection through mid-November.
- Begin roof installation and weatherproofing strategies.
Live Webcams and Project Progress Photos
View the webcams to see the project live.
This slide show shows the project as it proceeds.
School Design Advisory Team (SDAT)
Early in the design process, representatives from the school community come together to form a school’s SDAT. SDATs typically include school and district staff, parents, students, and community members. The project construction managers also take part. Due to the timing of the Rainier Beach SDAT, meetings were held virtually. Read more and review the meeting minutes.
A virtual community update about the Rainier Beach High School project was held on June 16.
Architects renderings of the new school
About the Project
Rainier Beach High School will be replaced with a new four-story high school of approximately 297,000 square feet. When completed, it will provide permanent space for 1,600 students grades 9-12. Students will remain on-site during the phased construction. A regional Skills Center is being incorporated into the project as well as a district data center. The project is being built with aspirations of a LEED Platinum certification.
Design Firms: Bassetti Architects/Moody Nolan
Project Management Firm: Parametrix
General Contractor: Lydig Construction
Project Budget: $238.2M
Funding Source: Funded by the Building Excellence V Capital Levy (Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More V), approved by Seattle voters in 2019 and the Buildings, Technology, and Academics/Athletics V Capital Levy (Building Renovations, Technology and Academic/Athletics Levy provides resources for seismic improvements, roof More V), approved by Seattle voters in 2022.
Parametrix Manager: Paul Popovich, email@example.com, 253-208-7831
Rainier Beach High School
8815 Seward Park Ave. S
Seattle, WA 98118