Rainier Beach Replacement Project
The existing Rainier Beach High School will be replaced with a new high school building on the same site. The construction will be done in phases so the school can remain on campus during the project.
- Pre-design phase complete
- Schematic design phase complete
- Design development phase complete
- Construction documents/permitting phase in progress
- Bid and award phase begins Winter 2022
- Phased construction begins Summer 2022
- Project complete Fall 2025
Progress updates are posted for the previous month the week after the monthly Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More and Building Renovations, Technology and Academic/Athletics Levy provides resources for seismic improvements, roof More Capital Levies Oversight Committee meetings. These meetings typically take place on the first Friday of each month.
Major Activity in November 2021
- Design Development phase cost estimate reconciliation and Value Engineering effort
- Departures Process community comments
- SEPA Determination of Non-Significance (DNS)
- Lydig diversity, equity, and inclusion meetings
- Development of sustainability measures
Major Activity Planned for December 2021
- SEPA Appeal hearing scheduled for December 10, 2021
- Continue development of Construction Documents
- Continue diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts
- Complete Departures process
- Begin planning move logistics for Skill Center – Aeronautics and Wood Working and A Seattle Public Schools post-secondary program that supports students with disabilities spaces
About the Project
Rainier Beach High School will be replaced with a new multi-story high school of approximately 233,700 square feet. When completed, it will provide permanent space for 1,600 students grades 9-12. Students will remain on-site during the phased construction. Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More V funding will also provide technology equipment and services, such as computers, peripherals, printers, and other technology for teaching and learning.
Design Firm: Bassetti Architects/Moody Nolan Architects
Construction Management Firm: Parametrix
Contractor: Lydig Construction
Project Budget: $238.2M
Funding Source: Funded by the Building Excellence V (Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More V) Capital Levy, approved by Seattle voters in 2019.
School Design Advisory Team
Read about the the School Design Advisory Team (SDAT) and review the meeting minutes.
Parametrix Construction Manager: Paul Popovich, email@example.com, 253.208.7831
Rainier Beach High School
8815 Seward Park Ave. S
Seattle, WA 98118