New Student Enrollment
Posted: | Updated:
Summary: Will your child be 5 by August 31? Will your family be new residents of Seattle? Registration begins January 3 for the 2022-23 school year.
Enroll at SPS for 2022-23 School Year
Will your child be 5 by August 31? Then it’s time to sign up for kindergarten with Seattle Public Schools!
Are you and your family new residents of Seattle. Here is how to enroll for this school year 2021-22, or for next fall 2022-23 (starting January 3).
Seattle Public Schools has many award-winning attendance area schools and option schools to meet the unique needs of every student. By registering early, students gain access to important resources and the opportunity to apply for schools other than their assigned attendance school during Open Enrollment.
Registration Begins January 3
New Student Registration begins for the 2022-23 school year. All registration is completed online.
Have Questions? We can help. Visit us at the John Stanford Center between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday – Friday. We are located at the John Stanford Center, 2445 3rd Ave S, Seattle, 98134.
Spanish, Oromo, Chinese, Vietnamese, Amharic, and Somali language assistance is available.
Find your Assigned Attendance Area School
Learn more about registration and open enrollment.
Why Enroll Now?
Early registration for kindergarten starts a connection to your school community.
You will meet other families and learn about:
- School activities and events
- Before and after-school programs
- Drop off and pickup schedules
- Free and reduced-price meals
- Tutoring and enrichment activities
- Schools can prepare better for new students when they know in advance who has registered.
Students living in Seattle are guaranteed an assignment based on their address or at the school best able to serve their needs. Read more about location of student services and programs such as multilingual students and students who need special education services.
Key enrollment dates
- Enrollment for new students (including kindergarten students) for 2022-23 school year begins: January 3
- Open Enrollment for School Choice: February 1 – 28
- Non-Seattle Resident Enrollment: June 1 – August 31, 2022
Register New Students
Items you will need to register new students
- Parent or guardian photo ID
- Child’s passport or birth certificate
- Two (2) proofs of home address dated within past eight (8) weeks
- Child’s immunization (shots) record
Open Enrollment and School Choice
By registering early, families and students have access to lots of benefits. One benefit is families can participate in Open Enrollment and the School Choice Process.
Each student in Seattle Public Schools is assigned to a school based on where that student lives. Students may apply to attend a different school through the School Choice Process. Open Enrollment and School Choice begins on February 1. Read more about Open Enrollment for School Choice.
School Tours for New Families
Many schools offer virtual school tours and open houses in January and February. Please contact the school office for more information.
Attendance Area Maps
- All Schools 2021-22
- Elementary and K-8 Schools Attendance Areas 2021-22
- Elementary and Middle Schools Attendance Areas 2021-22
- Middle Schools Attendance Areas 2021-22
- High Schools Attendance Areas 2021-22
- Geo Zones for Option Schools 2021-22