2021-22 School Year Calendar
Posted: | Updated:
Summary: Reminder January 27 will be a make-up day. School will be in session.
2021-22 School Year Calendar
List of all School Year Dates 2021-22
View start and end times for all schools. A schools have a 75-minute early release on Wednesdays, except the first day of school.
August 17 – 18 Jump Start for new kindergarten students Read more about Jump Start
September 1 First day of school for 1st – 12th grade students. September 1 is not an early release Wednesday. Early release will occur every Wednesday except for the first week of school.
September 1 – 3 Family Connections Before starting school, each new kindergartner’s family is offered the chance to meet with their student’s teacher. Read more about Family Connections
September 6 Labor Day (no school)
September 9 First day of school for kindergarten, all preschool students
October 8 State In-service Day (no school)
November 11 Veterans Day (no school)
November 12 No school
November 22 – 24 Elementary conference days (no school for elementary and K-8 students; varies by school) Tips for families to prepare for elementary conferences.
November 25 – 26 Thanksgiving break (no school) Thanksgiving and Native American Heritage Day
December 17 1-hour early dismissal (winter break)
December 20, 2021 – January 2, 2022 Winter break (no school)
January 3 (no school for students) COVID-19 tests available; Read more about this update
January 17 Martin Luther King Jr. Day (no school)
January 27 Day Between Semesters January 27 will be the make-up school day for November 12 per School Board action.
February 21 – 25 Mid-winter break including Presidents’ Day (no school)
April 11 – 15 Spring break (no school)
May 30 Memorial Day (no school)
June 17, 2022 Last day of school (1-hour early dismissal)
Approval and Planning School Year Dates
At the regular School Board meeting on February 10, 2021, the School Board voted to approve the district calendars for the 2021-22 and 2022-23 school years.
- See the School Board documents with approved 2021-22 and 2022-23 school year calendars and religious observances guidance approved January 2021.
- Updated 2021-22 school year calendar approved on December 2021.
The school calendar is developed collaboratively with SEA and the dates are agreed upon in the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). The formula to schedule key dates in the CBA states that the first day of school will be the first Wednesday of September. Families should note that for the start of the 2021-22 school year, school will begin before Labor Day, on September 1, 2021 for grades 1-12.
The key dates formula was originally bargained in the 2015-18 CBA as a tool for staff and families so there would be consistency around calendars and dates weren’t arbitrarily set.
During the 2019 bargaining period, multiple joint workgroups between SPS and SEA were established, with one specifically organized to address inclusive considerations related to religious and cultural observations and practices. This workgroup developed supplemental materials and guidance to go along with the traditional school year calendar.
While not all religious/cultural events can be accommodated for, this guidance was created to serve as a reference for schools, families, and communities to be aware of potential schedule conflicts and excused absences and/or to make appropriate accommodations and supports for students and families on days of religious/cultural observances.
The religious and cultural observances identified in both the 2021-22 and 2022-23 Religion and Religious Accommodations documents, also highlights observances and traditions which involve fasting, which may have an impact on students’ abilities to perform at their highest level or be a reason for an absence from class.
Key Dates in the CBA
The below dates were negotiated as a part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
- First day of school: The first Wednesday in September.
- State In-service Day: As recognized by the state and typically the second Friday in October.
- Winter break: At least 10 weekdays, ending after New Year’s Day. If New Year’s Day falls or is observed on a Monday, students will return to school on the next day (Tuesday).
- Mid-winter break: Presidents’ Day and the following four workdays.
- Spring break: Five days starting the second Monday in April.
- Snow make-up days: At least three snow days shall be scheduled, including the day between semesters, and the first two days following the last day of school in June. Additional snow make-up days may be added in June if necessary
- Labor Day (when school begins before this day in September)
- Veterans Day (November)
- Thanksgiving Day and the day after Thanksgiving (November)
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (January)
- Presidents’ Day (February)
- Memorial Day (May)
- Contractual Days: The four days immediately preceding the start of school, except for the Friday before Labor Day
- Conferences: Three consecutive days for conferences immediately preceding Thanksgiving Day