Early Entrance to Kindergarten
Early Entrance to Kindergarten – Closed
Early Entrance to Kindergarten (EEK) is a rigorous screening process to find out if a student is ready to start kindergarten early.
Washington state and Seattle Public School require that students entering kindergarten in the fall turn five before August 31 of the enrollment year.
Seattle Public Schools carefully considers each student’s success throughout their K-12 experience. Students who begin their educational journey early can encounter additional challenges while being the youngest student in a class. Because of this, we only accept about 10% of students who apply into EEK. Those who are accepted are well above average in all areas of development.
For those families seeking transitional programs for 5-year olds, we have compiled various resources and additional links. We will be updating as more opportunities become available.
Looking for preschool or pre-kindergarten information? Please visit the Early Learning Webpage
Seattle Department of Education and Early Learning – Please visit: https://www.seattle.gov/education
Seattle Parks and Recreation Summer Programs – TIME SENSITIVE– Registration opened April 19, 2022. Summer camps begin weekly June 27, 2022. Tuition assistance or Parks Scholarships, fill-up fast. Please visit Scholarships and Financial Aid for Summer Parks and Recreation Programs. Applications available in multiple languages. See the full Summer Camp 2022 brochure hereRegister online here or call your community center.
Seattle Preschool Program Summer Sites with no or short waitlists:
- Launch at Madrona – Address: 1121 33rd Ave, Phone: 206-709-8887
- Launch at Miller Annex – Address: 301 20th Ave E, Phone: 206-227-6736
- Children’s Home Society at Genesee Early Learning Center – Address: 3700 S Genesee St, Phone: 206-588-2542
- Launch at Primm ABC – Address: 4455 S. Brandon St, Phone: 206-636-9200
- PSESD -Educare – Address: 625 SW 100th St, Phone: 206-716-8800
- Launch at HIghland Park – Address: 1012 SW Trenton St, Phone: 206-767-4906
- Community School for West Seattle – Address: 9450 22nd Ave SW, Phone: 206-763-2081
Child Care Assistance Program -All Seattle families can reach out to DEEL to see if they qualify for CCAP with over 200 providers in the Seattle area. CCAP flyers are available in multiple languages, and more information about CCAP is at www.seattle.gov/ccap. Licensed CCAP childcare providers are at school buildings and in the community across Seattle. CCAP flyers: English, Amharic,Chinese,Oromo, Somali, Spanish, Tigrinya, Vietnamese
Transitional Programs for 5-year olds – some options to consider.
- Childcare Resources (CCR) offers free, multilingual information and referrals for King County residents seeking early learning support for their children, and information about services and subsidies to help pay for care. Call them at 206-329-5544 or 1-800-446-1114. Or search our online database: Amharic, Spanish, Somali, Russian, Chinese, Vietnamese
- Free Kaleidoscope Play and Learn groups offer parents and other caregivers the opportunity to support their children’s early learning. Read more and find nearby groups (including multilingual). List here.
- Cooperative (“Co-op”) Preschool Programs affiliated with Seattle Colleges – Programs described below are offered through the Seattle Colleges network to provide parent education and teacher support for family-governed community co-operative preschool programs. Co-ops charge a sliding scale tuition, and all families are expected to work one day per week in their child’s classroom. Classes are organized by age, and a few programs are designed for children whose families feel need more time before starting kindergarten, or who have missed the kindergarten eligibility cut-off of 8/31. Several North Seattle Co-op preschool programs serving children who are/have turned 5.
- North Seattle Fives – Home: North Seattle Fives is a co-op preschool located in North Seattle. The school provides a highly nurturing learning environment.
- Meadowbrook Cooperative Preschool- Home: The 5’s program is a Pre-K opportunity for children who are 5+ (or are turning 5. We are a warm and welcoming organization offering three classes: Pre-3s, 3-5s, and Fives. … is part of North Seattle Community College Cooperative Preschools (NSCC)
- South Seattle Community College – Multi-Age Outdoor class