Renew or Update Your Volunteer Application
Thank you for your past volunteer service – we are excited you are interested in continuing to volunteer with Seattle Public Schools or take on a new volunteer role!
Two weeks minimum required for approval
For the following reasons, volunteers must update their applications at least two (2) weeks before the expected volunteer service start date:
- SPS receives up to 15,000 volunteer applications and renewals each year. Approval of each volunteer requires action by your school’s Volunteer Program Liaison (VPL) and one central office staff member.
- Due to budget cuts, many school office positions were cut by 50% or eliminated, and central office staff are absorbing additional duties.
- VPL duties are carried out by one school office staff member with many other responsibilities.
How to verify if you already have an application with SPS
Please visit our volunteer portal guide for step by step instructions.
Steps to Renew Your Volunteer Application
Follow steps 1-3 below even if your application was approved prior to the current school year.
1. Volunteer Handbook
Please review our updated Volunteer Handbook to familiarize yourself with new volunteer program guidelines.
2. Renew and/or update your volunteer registration
Access your volunteer information through the volunteer portal, where you can:
- approve a new background check if expired (required every two years),
- add or update your information,
- update your criminal history, if applicable,
- transfer your existing application to other SPS schools.
Please visit our volunteer portal guide for step by step instructions for each of these updates.
3. School Approval
The school volunteer program liaison will verify your information before your first volunteer shift at a new school. Please have the following available:
- A government-issued photo ID
If the school volunteer program liaison confirms your identity and verifies that you selected the correct background check type on your volunteer application, they will add you to their school’s “Approved Volunteers List.”
Leaving the volunteer program
If you don’t plan on returning to any SPS school as a volunteer, you can opt out of volunteering via one of the following methods:
- Submit your resignation via an online form.
- When you receive an email from our volunteer application system requesting that you renew your application, look for an “opt-out” link at the bottom and click for instructions.
- We will email you every two years to allow you to renew or opt out of volunteering.
We archive applications that have been expired for more than two years.