Services and Programs for Multilingual Learners
Seattle Public Schools offers a variety of instructional programs and services to help students achieve academic excellence while still learning English.
A student learning English whose primary language is not English More (EL) services are provided at every school with eligible multilingual learner students.
Services that Support Multilingual Students
- High quality, research-based EL program models at elementary and secondary schools that supports student language development and enables meaningful access to grade level curriculum and instruction
- English language development instruction provided by certificated EL teachers and supported by Instructional Assistants
- Support for migrant and refugee students
- Support for students who have exited the EL program
- Translation and interpretation support for multilingual students and families
- World language credit and Seal of Biliteracy testing opportunities
Translation and Interpretation Services our district provides.
Program Models in Neighborhood Schools
Seattle Public Schools uses research-based, high quality instructional models. Program models differ by school.
- Students are immersed into general education classes with native English speakers and receive support from EL staff.
- During a portion of the day, a certified EL teacher or instructional assistant will provide support.
- EL teachers align their instruction with what is being taught in the general education classroom.
Middle & High Schools
- Students are placed into sheltered language arts classes according to their level of proficiency in English.
- Students take mainstream courses which increase in language demand as they progress through levels of proficiency.
Visit our Department Contacts page for staff contact information