Academy for Rising Educators
What is the Academy for Rising Educators (ARE)?
Seattle Public Schools (Seattle Public Schools) is committed to teacher diversity. The ARE is one way we are hiring and recruiting more educators of color.
The ARE, in collaboration with the City of Seattle Department of Education and Early Learning (DEEL), helps Seattle Public Schools high school seniors and recent graduates, current Seattle Public Schools staff, and community members earn their teaching certificate.
Seattle Public Schools will pay for your tuition and teacher certification while attending the following universities. Graduates of the program commit to teaching in Seattle Public Schools for 4 years.
- Central Washington University (CWU Des Moines Center)
- City University
- North Seattle College
- Seattle Central College
- University of Washington (UW)
Are you interested in the ARE but not ready to commit yet?
Let us know by completing the form linked below and we will let you know when applications are available and when ARE events are happening.
ARE focuses on increasing representation in classrooms
The ARE aims to recruit and retain educators of color and diverse local backgrounds. Watch the King 5 video about ARE
The ARE prepares and supports candidates that model three program goals. Candidates are:
- Rooted in our communities;
- Dedicated to long-term teaching; and
- Committed to anti-racist teaching to support students furthest away from educational justice.
How to Apply to ARE
- Complete the online ARE application
- Create an eCert account in OSPI
- Be accepted into one of our partner colleges and universities
- Submit your FAFSA