Summer Learning Enrichment CBO Application
Seattle Public Schools is currently reviewing applications from community-based organizations to provide enrichment services at six elementary school sites during the SPS Summer Learning Program term (July 10-August 4, 2023).
How to Apply
Organizations must meet the following eligibility requirements to apply:
- Provide enrichment programming for K-4 grade students with one more of the following domains: science, technology, engineering, visual/performing arts, or math and/or a career discovery/exploration/mentoring.
- Be approved to be on the Roster for Youth Programming Services or Creative Advantage Roster or provide a submission to either list by April 10, 2023. Partners under the Community Alignment Initiative applying for services at a school where they are currently an aligned partner do not need to be on the Youth Programming Services Roster.
- Articulate ways in which they can or have contributed to supporting students furthest from educational justice and provide a safe, welcoming, and joyful learning environment
Organizations will be compensated up to $50,000 per summer learning site (up to 150 students) and can apply to support more than one site.
SPS Summer Learning: School Day Schedule and Logistics
SPS will be offering a full school day of summer learning, Monday – Friday, at the following six elementary school sites: Broadview Thomson, Concord, Madrona, Maple, Martin Luther King Jr., and Olympic Hills. The day will be scheduled to include classroom learning led by SPS teaching staff in the morning and community-based organization led STEAM focused enrichment activities in the afternoon. This application is to seek out the knowledge and expertise of CBOs to provide the afternoon enrichment component of the day.
|8:30-9||Students dropped off for breakfast||SPS IAs|
|9-12:30||SPS classroom curriculum & teaching time||SPS Lead classroom teacher|
|12||CBO Staff Prep/arrival time||CBO staff|
|12:30-1||Lunch time||SPS IAs and Certificated staff, and CBO staff|
|1-2:30||CBO-led enrichment||CBO staff, 1 IA per classroom|
|2:30-3||Students picked up||CBO staff and IAs|
Key components of the SPS summer model
- SPS Staffing will include:
- 1 Summer Learning Assistant Principal/Site Coordinator per school site
- 1 Lead classroom teacher per classroom for morning academic content
- 1 Instructional Assistant (IA)/per class (contingent upon SPS hiring). IAs will be available for the entire school day and could support delivery of CBO enrichment as needed.
- Up to 10 classrooms per site, 15 students per class
- Six elementary school sites: Broadview Thomson, Concord, Madrona, Maple, Martin Luther King Jr., and Olympic Hills
- Transportation and meals offered to all students by SPS
- Enrollment of students completed by SPS Enrollment
Selection Process and Timeline
SPS will review all applications that meet the eligibility requirements and select organizations based on the best interests of the Summer Learning program and reserves the right to conduct interviews if deemed necessary.
|Can meet SPS compliance expectations.||15|
|Clearly articulates programming that includes one of the following: STEAM focused activities, career discovery/exploration, and/or mentoring.||25|
|Can describe culturally responsive approaches to implementation of programming.||25|
|Provides evidence of activities and teaching strategies and methods to support inclusive learning environments.||25|
|Provides contact information for two references.||10|
Selection Process Timeline
- March 20, 2023 Summer Learning Enrichment Application Open
- March 30, 2023, 11 a.m. Technical Assistance Session #1 (via Teams Join the meeting)
- April 5, 2023 2 p.m. Technical Assistance Session #2 (via Teams Join the meeting)
- April 10, 2023, 5 p.m. RFQ submission* and Summer Learning Enrichment Applications Due
- April 11-24, 2023 Initial screening
- Approx. April 24, 2023 Notification sent to selected organizations
- Approx. April 24-May 1, 2023 Negotiation of Contract
- July 10, 2023 Anticipated Start Date
*RFQ submission is required for organizations that are not already on the SPS Youth Programming Services Roster or the Creative Advantage Roster or provide a submission to either list by April 10, 2023. Partners under the Community Alignment Initiative applying for services at a school where they are currently an aligned partner do not need to be on the Youth Programming Services Roster.