West Seattle Elementary
West Seattle Elementary School Addition Project
West Seattle Elementary has relocated to Schmitz Park School, 5000 SW Spokane Street, for the 2021-22 school year.
- Pre-design phase complete
- Schematic design phase complete
- Design development phase complete
- Construction documents and permitting phase complete
- Bid and award phase complete
- Construction in progress
- School reopens Fall 2022
Updates are posted for the previous month the week after the monthly Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More and Building Renovations, Technology and Academic/Athletics Levy provides resources for seismic improvements, roof More Capital Levies Oversight Committee meetings. These meetings typically take place on the first Friday of each month.
Major Activity in October 2021
- Completed demolition needed in the existing building
- Completed the footings and stem walls for the addition and the entry canopy
- Started installing underground plumbing and electrical for the addition
- Continued work on plumbing, electrical, and steel stud framing in existing building
- Began installing fire sprinklers in the existing building
Major Activity Planned for November 2021
- Continue underground mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire, and capillary break at addition
- Pour the concrete slab for the addition
- Install structural steel for the addition and existing building
- Continue to work on steel stud framing and fire sprinkler in existing building
Live Webcam and Project Photos
About the Project
A new, approximately 20,000 square foot 2-story addition will provide 12 new classrooms and two learning commons to better support students’ academic success. A redesigned secure entrance will lead visitors through the administration office. The library will be relocated and expanded for more natural light and visibility. Minor modernization will be done to the existing 50,700 square foot school building. This includes new paint, carpet, and technology. The expanded school will provide permanent space for up to 500 students.
Mechanical systems will be upgraded. In addition, site improvements are planned for better pedestrian access and new play areas/fields.
Technology enhancements included in the Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More V capital levy are designed to provide equitable access to technology for high-need schools to support teaching and learning in meeting the needs of students. Equipment will include audio-visual systems that include classroom displays (projectors/screens), sound systems, document cameras, and devices to connect them. It will also provide technology equipment and services, such as computers, peripherals, printers, and other technology for teaching and learning.
A School Design Advisory Team (SDAT) that included the principal, staff, teachers, parents, and community members advised the school architect. This collaborative process resulted in an equitable, safe, and inspiring learning environment.
Design: Miller Hayashi Architects
Construction: Jody Miller Construction
Project Budget: $28.3M
Funding Sources: Building Excellence V Capital Levy (Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More V), approved by Seattle voters in 2019 and a grant from the State of Washington
Project Manager: David L. Jackson, email@example.com, 206.252.0674
West Seattle Elementary School
6760 34th Ave SW
Interim site: Schmitz Park School
5000 SW Spokane Street