A new replacement school is being built on the same location as the old school.
Viewlands Elementary School will return to their location and new school building for the 2023-24 school year.
- Predesign phase complete
- Schematic Design phase complete
- Design Development phase complete
- Construction Documents/Permitting phase complete
- Bid and Award phase complete
- Construction in progress
- School opened Sept. 6, 2023
Progress updates are posted for the previous month.
Major Activity in August 2023
- Continued hardscape and landscape construction.
- Continued exterior metal panels, downspout, and roofing for entrance canopy and covered play area.
- Completed excavation and site preparation for retaining walls, sidewalks, and hardscape.
- Continued finish trim installation.
- Installed furniture, technology, and curriculum.
- Relocated materials from temporary site at John Marshall School.
Major Activity in September 2023
- Open school for students Sept. 6, 2023.
- Continue outstanding construction activities.
Live Webcam and Project Photos
See a live view of the construction project with the web camera!
Architects drawings of the future school building
Mahlum Architects created this animated visit to the future Viewlands Elementary School. The video does not include sound.
About the Project
The existing Viewlands Elementary will be demolished to make way for a new multi-story school building. The new school will be approximately 106,000 square feet and provide permanent classroom space for up to 650 students.
The new Viewlands Elementary School is designed to provide an equitable, safe, and inspired learning environment. A collaborative design process included school leadership, parents, and community members. The resulting plan is infused with nature, outdoor learning, and natural light. It will provide the spaces and resources that students need for academic success.
Outdoor learning areas include adjacent storage, water, and power to support educational activities. Exceptional trees will be preserved, and new trees will increase the overall tree canopy on site when mature.
Secure, enclosed and covered bike parking is located along the main entry route and is visible and accessible to all students and staff. Additional covered, short term bicycle parking for visitors is provided within view of the school’s main office. Site improvements will include covered and open play areas, and new parking.
The school building is thoughtfully designed to fit into the neighborhood and to recognize its unique location adjoining Carkeek Park.
Sustainable Design and Construction
Mechanical and electrical sustainable design features mean that no fossil fuels will be used onsite in accordance with the Board’s Clean Energy Resolution 20/21-18 and will position the school to meet the district’s goal of net-zero energy-usage.
The new school includes a geothermal heating system, a highly efficient ventilation system that recovers 90% of the exhaust air heat, and energy efficient LED lighting. The roof is designed to accommodate solar panels which could offset 80% of the buildings energy use in the future.
Sustainable site design strategies include:
- On-site storm water management with pervious paving and run-off directed to bioretention gardens planted with native plants
- Drought-resistant plantings
- Fully shielded dark-sky compliant site lighting
- Optimal building orientation for maximum daylighting and minimum solar heat gain and glare, which reduces electric lighting use and cooling needs
- Highly insulated walls and roof to increase thermal efficiency
- Fiberglass high-efficiency windows to increase thermal efficiency, reduce air leakage, and minimize outside noise
Projected Energy Use Index (EUI): 15.8
Design Firm: Mahlum Architects
Contractor: Absher Construction
Project manager: Brian Fabella, firstname.lastname@example.org, 206-252-0702
Project Budget: $88.1M
Funding Source: Building Excellence V Capital Levy (Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More V) approved by Seattle voters in 2019
Viewlands Elementary School
10525 3rd Ave NW