March 15, 2023 – Regular Board Meeting
Agenda – Final Posting 3/15/23
Regular Legislative Session
Wednesday, March 15, 2023 4:15 p.m.
Board of Directors
2445 – 3rd Avenue South
Seattle, Washington 98134
Seattle Public Schools
IMPORTANT NOTE: Public access to this meeting will be available both at the John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence and through remote access.
The meeting will be live streamed on SPSTV and broadcast on television on Comcast 26 (standard-def) and 319 (hi-def), Wave 26 (standard-def) and 695 (hi-def), and Century Link 8008 (standard-def) and 8508 (hi-def). To listen by phone, dial 206-800-4125 and use Conference ID 845 021 83#. This phone number and Conference ID will also be used by those who sign up to provide public testimony through the process described on the Agenda below.
All in-person attendees must adhere to any health and safety protocols communicated onsite. Please do not come to the John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever (100.4 F); chills; cough; shortness of breath or difficulty breathing; fatigue; muscle or body aches; headache; recent loss of taste or smell; sore throat; congestion or runny nose; nausea or vomiting; or diarrhea.
I. Call to Order – 4:15 p.m.
- General Welcome Announcement to Audience
- Roll Call
II. Superintendent Comments
III. School Board Student Member Comments
IV. Board Comments
- Announcement of Completed Audits by Audit Committee Chair
V. Public Testimony – 4:30 p.m.
Members of the public who wish to address the board in person or by teleconference may sign up online or by calling 206-252-0040, beginning Monday, March 13, 2023 at 8:00 a.m. The public testimony list will be posted Tuesday, March 14, 2023. Those who are placed on the posted public testimony list may provide their testimony by dialing 206-800-4125 and using Conference ID 845 021 83#. For information on how the public testimony list is created, please visit the Board’s website.
|1||Chris Jackins||League of Education Voters grant for South Shore PreK-8; BTA V Capital Levy Implementation Plan; Proposed purchase of warehouse; proposed construction at Alki, John Rogers, Montlake|
|2||Marian Wagner||Job-shares: Self-care & Work-Life Balance|
|3||Megan McCarroll||Job shares|
|4||Arthur Dorros||Education and community|
|5||Karen Byeman||Budget for Broadview Thomson K-8|
|6||Sumaira Inayat||Misuse of public funds and the Montlake Elementary School expansion|
|7||Victoria Habas||Montlake Elementary School Capital Project|
|8||Jennifer Wroblewski||The unappreciated devastation of cutting staff positions to balance the 2023-24 school year, specifically at Olympic View Elementary School|
|9||Laura Marie Rivera||Special Education|
|10||Christie Robertson||well-resourced schools|
|12||Nicolette Jensen||Support for job shares, respect for teacher expertise, need for collaboration and community-centered approach|
|14||Linda Cuddy||Alki Elementary remodel|
|15||Melissa Woolley||Budget Cuts|
VI. Business Action Items
A. Consent Agenda
Required Approvals (Introduction & Action)
- Minutes of the February 28, 2023 Board Special Meeting and March 1, 2023 Regular Board Meeting
- Personnel Report (Materials Updated 3/6/23)
- Warrants Report – January 16 thru February 15, 2023
The following warrants as audited and certified by the auditing officer, as required by RCW 42.24.08, are approved for payment:
|Capital Project Fund||Vendor||$20,666,694.96|
|Associated Student Body Fund||Vendor||$369,806.71|
|Expendable Trust Fund||Vendor||$6,940.00|
*Note – Payroll total reflects warrants issued to employees. It does not however, reflect cash transfer amounts in payment of employees’ Direct Deposit payroll.
4. Acceptance of the League of Education Voters Foundation (LEVF) grant to South Shore PreK-8. Approval of this item would authorize the Superintendent to accept the LEVF Grant of up $2,000,000 for 2019-2021, with the option of up to $2,000,000 for 2021-2023 for South Shore PreK- 8. (Item added to agenda 3/10/23)
Consent Agenda Items Previously Introduced
5. Appointment of Disciplinary Appeal Council Membership for Remainder of 2022-23 School Year Approval of this item would reappoint members, as attached to the Board Action Report, to serve on the Disciplinary Appeal Council through the end of the 2022-23 school year. In the event new members have not been appointed prior to the start of the 2023-24 school year, existing appointments will remain active until no later than October 1, 2023 to provide DAC continuity as new appointments are finalized.
6. Annual Approval of Schools per WAC 180-16-220Approval of this item would approve each school within the district and that each has a school improvement plan that is data driven, promotes a positive impact on student learning, and includes a continuous improvement process, as required by WAC 180-16-220.
7. BTA V: Approval of the Buildings, Technology, and Academics/Athletics (BTA) V Capital Levy Implementation Plan Approval of this item would approve the Buildings, Technology, and Academics/Athletics (BTA) V Capital Levy Implementation Plan as attached to the Board Action Report. (Updated Since Introduction)
B. Items Removed from the Consent Agenda
C. Action Items
- BTA IV/BEX V: Purchase of warehouse at 640 S Spokane St. Seattle Approval of this item would authorize the Superintendent to fully execute a purchase and sale agreement dated December 22, 2022, in the amount of $10,600,000 and attached to the School Board Action Report, with any additions, deletions, and modifications deemed necessary by the Superintendent to implement the purchase agreement. Immediate action is in the best interest of the district. (Introduction & Action) Materials updated 3/15/23
VII. Progress Monitoring: Goals 3.1 and 3.2 (60 minutes)
VIII: Board Self-Evaluation
- March 1, 2023 Regular Board Meeting Time Use Evaluation (materials updated 3/10/23)
IX. Informational Items
- Clean Energy Plan from the Clean Energy Task Force
- Monthly Budget Status Report
- Board Director Questions and Staff Responses for March 15, 2023 Regular Board Meeting (Materials added 3/10/23)
- John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence Fire Line Separation Emergency Determination (materials added 3/13/23)
X. Adjourn – 8:30 p.m.
A complete list of upcoming Board meetings and Director community meetings can be found on the School Board calendar website. If you have any questions, please contact the School Board Office at 206-252-0040.