March 1, 2023 – Regular Board Meeting
Agenda – FINAL Post
Regular Legislative Session
Wednesday, March 1, 2023, 4:15 p.m.
Board of Directors
2445 – 3rd Avenue South
Seattle, Washington 98134
Important Note: Public access to this meeting will be available both at the John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence and through remote access.
The meeting will be live streamed on SPSTV and broadcast on television on Comcast 26 (standard-def) and 319 (hi-def), Wave 26 (standard-def) and 695 (hi-def), and Century Link 8008 (standard-def) and 8508 (hi-def). To listen by phone, dial 206-800-4125 and use Conference ID 421 662 215#. This phone number and Conference ID will also be used by those who sign up to provide public testimony through the process described on the Agenda below.
All in-person attendees must adhere to any health and safety protocols communicated onsite. Please do not come to the John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever (100.4 F); chills; cough; shortness of breath or difficulty breathing; fatigue; muscle or body aches; headache; recent loss of taste or smell; sore throat; congestion or runny nose; nausea or vomiting; or diarrhea.
I. Call to Order – 4:15 p.m.
- General Welcome Announcement to Audience
- Roll Call
II. Superintendent Comments
III. School Board Student Member Comments
IV. Board Comments
V. Public Testimony – 4:30 p.m.
Members of the public who wish to address the board in person or by teleconference may sign up online or by calling 206-252-0040, beginning Monday, February 27, 2023 at 8:00 a.m. The public testimony list will be posted Tuesday, February 28, 2023. Those who are placed on the posted public testimony list may provide their testimony by dialing 206-800-4125 and using Conference ID 421 662 215#. For information on how the public testimony list is created, please visit the Board’s website.
|1||Lily Cibene-Ingram||West Seattle High School Student Testimony|
|2||Theresa Castro||Indian Education|
|3||Chris Jackins||Personnel Report; Grant to OAAMA from Alliance for Education; Construction at Alki/John Rogers/Montlake|
|4||Isabella Hawkinson||Indian Education|
|5||Mike Zyskowski||Native Education|
|6||Sarah Sense-Wilson||Indian Education|
|7||Lenelle Jenkins||Indian Education|
|8||Savannah Marie Briggs||MMIWP/Indian Education|
|9||Benjamin Ryan Yawakie||Indian Education|
|10||Marita McBride Zyskowski||Native American Education|
|11||Jazell Jenkins||Native Education|
|12||Jerrilyn Hamley||Indian Education|
|13||Landyn Zyskowski||Indian Education|
|14||Michelle Brewer||On behalf of Clear Sky Academy|
|15||Landon Brewer||Native American Education/MMIP Proclamation|
|16||Cheyne Littlesun||Indian Education|
|17||Norman Zyskowski||Indian Education|
|18||Aidan Carroll||Native American Education|
|19||Myleaka Chantal Webster||Indian Education|
|20||Zachary Joseph Jenkins||Indian Education|
|1||Jesse McFeron||Indian Education|
|2||Hailey Bruce||Importance of utilizing tier 1 interventions in classrooms to prevent the number of students who are removed from class for disruptive behavior and identifying the discrepancies of which students are historically kicked out of class and the racial disparities|
|3||Jeanne Bastasch||Sandy Hook Promise|
|4||Arthur Dorros||Community communications|
|5||Mashala & Jauron Hall||Support of staff who have students who go to the same school|
VI. Business Action Items
A. Consent Agenda
Required Approvals (Introduction & Action)
- Minutes of the January 25, 2023 Board Special Meeting, February 1, 2023 Board Special Meeting, and February 8, 2023 Regular Board Meeting
- Personnel Report
- Acceptance of Learn to Return (L2R) Labor Support Fund grant from the Office of the Superintendent for Public Instructions (OSPI) Approval of this item would authorize the Superintendent to execute the agreement with Health Commons Project attached to this School Board Action Report and accept grant funds in the amount of $3,700,000.00 for the Learn to Return Labor Support Fund, with any minor additions, deletions, and modifications deemed necessary by the Superintendent, and to take any necessary actions to accept the grant funds. Immediate action is in the best interest of the district.
- Acceptance of the Year 3 Subgrant to the Office of African American Male Achievement from the Philanthropic Partnership for Public Education at the Alliance for Education Approval of this item would authorize the Superintendent to accept the Philanthropic Partnership for Public Education at the Alliance for Education Year 3 subgrant in the amount of $985,050 to the Office of African American Achievement. Immediate action is in the best interest of the district.
B. Items Removed from the Consent Agenda
C. Introduction Items
- Appointment of Disciplinary Appeal Council Membership for Remainder of 2022-23 School Year Approval of this item would reappoint members, as attached to the Board Action Report, to serve on the Disciplinary Appeal Council through the end of the 2022-23 school year. In the event new members have not been appointed prior to the start of the 2023-24 school year, existing appointments will remain active until no later than October 1, 2023 to provide DAC continuity as new appointments are finalized.
- Annual Approval of Schools per WAC 180-16-220 Approval of this item would approve each school within the district and that each has a school improvement plan that is data driven, promotes a positive impact on student learning, and includes a continuous improvement process, as required by WAC 180-16-220. (Updated 2/24/23)
- BTA V: Approval of the Buildings, Technology, and Academics/Athletics (BTA) V Capital Levy Implementation Plan Approval of this item would approve the Buildings, Technology, and Academics/Athletics (BTA) V Capital Levy Implementation Plan as attached to the Board Action Report.
VII. Board Self-Evaluation
VIII. Informational Items
- Monthly Budget Status Report
- Board Director Questions and Staff Responses for March 1, 2023 Regular Board Meeting (Materials added 2/24/23)
IX. Adjourn – 8:30 p.m.
A complete list of upcoming Board meetings and Director community meetings can be found on the School Board calendar website. If you have any questions, please contact the School Board Office at 206-252-0040.