February 8, 2023 – Regular Board Meeting
Agenda – FINAL Post
Regular Legislative Session
Wednesday, February 8, 2023, 4:15 p.m.
Board of Directors
2445 – 3rd Avenue South
Seattle, Washington 98134
IMPORTANT NOTE: Public access to this meeting will be available both at the John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence and through remote access.
The meeting will be live streamed on SPSTV and broadcast on television on Comcast 26 (standard-def) and 319 (hi-def), Wave 26 (standard-def) and 695 (hi-def), and Century Link 8008 (standard-def) and 8508 (hi-def). To listen by phone, dial 206-800-4125 and use Conference ID 409 009 506#. This phone number and Conference ID will also be used by those who sign up to provide public testimony through the process described on the Agenda below.
All in-person attendees must adhere to any health and safety protocols communicated onsite. Please do not come to the John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever (100.4 F); chills; cough; shortness of breath or difficulty breathing; fatigue; muscle or body aches; headache; recent loss of taste or smell; sore throat; congestion or runny nose; nausea or vomiting; or diarrhea.
I. Call to Order – 4:15 p.m.
- General Welcome Announcement to Audience
- Roll Call
II. Superintendent Comments
III. School Board Student Member Comments
IV. Board Comments
V. Public Testimony – 4:30 p.m.
Members of the public who wish to address the board in person or by teleconference may sign up sign up for public testimony online or by calling 206-252-0040, beginning Monday, February 6 at 8:00 a.m. The public testimony list will be posted Tuesday, February 7. Those who are placed on the posted public testimony list may provide their testimony by dialing 206-800-4125 and using Conference ID 409 009 506#. For information on how the public testimony list is created, please visit the Board’s website. (Corrected 2/8/23)
|1||Gita Wolford||Early/Middle College|
|2||Emory Ranes||Middle College HS|
|3||Noah L. Malloy||The possible defunding of Middle college high school. I hope to provide insight on why this program is needed.|
|4||Miles Hagopian||Black Lives Matter at Schools|
|5||David Snoek||Middle College HS|
|6||Chris Jackins||January 18 RBM Minutes; School closures proposed; budget issues|
|7||Arthur Dorros||Building community|
|8||Darrin Hoop||Ethnic Studies: Approval of courses with new content as defined by Superintendent Procedure No. 2026.|
|10||max crowther||unified sports|
|11||sage taylor||getting unified sports in more schools|
|12||Maxford Brown||Unified Sports Basketball|
|13||Faith Dunn||Unified Sports|
|14||Dr. John German||Middle College HS|
VI. Business Action Items
A. Consent Agenda
Required Approvals (Introduction & Action)
- Minutes of the January 11, 2023 Board Special Meeting and January 18, 2023 Regular Board Meeting
- Personnel Report
- Warrants Report
Warrants Report – December 16, 2022 thru January 15, 2023
The following warrants as audited and certified by the auditing officer, as required by RCW 42.24.08, are approved for payment:
|Capital Project Fund||Vendor||$20,358,180.13|
|Associated Student Body Fund||Vendor||$207,768.44|
|Expendable Trust Fund||Vendor||$5,000.00|
*Note – Payroll total reflects warrants issued to employees. It does not however, reflect cash transfer amounts in payment of employees’ Direct Deposit payroll.
- Acceptance of Project AWARE (Advancing Wellness and Resiliency in Education) Grant Approval of this item would authorize the Superintendent to accept the Project AWARE grant from SAMHSA in the amount of $7,200,000 for the 4-year period of December 31, 2022, through December 30, 2026. Immediate action is in the best interest of the district. (Introduction & Action) Materials Updated 2/2/23
Consent Agenda Items Previously Introduced
- Approval of courses with new content as defined by Superintendent Procedure No. 2026. Approval of this item would approve the New Course Additions for School Year 2023-24 as attached to the Board Action Report. (Updated since introduction)
- Approval of the 2021-2023 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between Seattle School District No. 1 and International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local No. 174 (Teamsters 174). Approval of this item would approve the 2021 – 2023 Collective Bargaining Agreement between SPS and Teamsters 174 and authorize the Superintendent, on behalf of the Board of Directors, to execute the agreement in the form attached to the School Board Action Report, with any minor additions, deletions, and modifications deemed necessary by the Superintendent and to take any necessary actions to implement the terms of this agreement.
B. Items Removed from the Consent Agenda
VII. Work Session: Building Relationships with Youth Continued (with Kings) (60 Minutes)
VIII. Board Self-Evaluation (Materials updated 2/8/23)
IX. Informational Items
- Monthly Budget Status Report
- Annual Financial Report to Board per Board Policy No. 6030
- Annual Disclosure of Financial/Conflict of Interest for the Board and Executive Administrators
- Board Director Questions and Staff Responses for February 8, 2023 Regular Board Meeting (Updated 2/3/23)
X. Adjourn – 8:30 p.m.
A complete list of upcoming Board meetings and Director community meetings can be found on the School Board calendar website. If you have any questions, please contact the School Board Office at 206-252-0040.