Public Records Requests
SPS Public Record Requests
How to Request Public Records
All Public Records requests must be directed to the Public Records Officers. The Public Records Officers may be contacted by mail, fax, email, or in-person at the John Stanford Center.
Please include detailed information about your request.
Staff or Student Directory
If you are requesting lists of staff, please complete and sign the Declaration for Non-Commercial Use of List of Names Form and submit it along with your request to our Public Records Officers.
If you are requesting lists of students or Directory Information, please complete and sign the Directory Information Request Form and submit it along with your request to our Public Records Officers.
Special Education Records (IEP/504)
To obtain student-specific special education records, please contact the Special Education Department. Please make special education records requests via phone, fax, or email:
Phone or Fax: 206-252-0895
To obtain student-specific health records please contact the Health Services Department. Please make health records requests via phone or email:
Phone: 206-252-0763 or 206-252-0750
If you are a former student requesting your transcript, diploma, graduation verification, or academic history, please do so on the Student Records Request site located Student Records Request.
Fees for Records Requests
The District has adopted the statutory Fee Schedule for public records requests and may charge as follows:
- In-person review of documents – No cost
- Photocopies of public records – $0.15/page
- Electronic copies of records that exist in hard copy only – $0.10/page
- Electronic documents – $0.05 per every four electronic files or attachments uploaded to email, cloud-based data storage service, or other means of electronic delivery
- Transmission of public records in an electronic format – $0.10 per every 1 GB
- Postage and media – Actual costs incurred by the District
- Customized services – Actual costs, in addition to fees for copies specified above
For further information on charges, please see Superintendent Procedure 4040SP.
Policies, Procedures, and Exemptions
Information about the Disclosure of Public Records Policy and Procedure is available in the following SPSSeattle Public Schools More documents.
- Public Access to District Records (Policy 4040)
- Public Access to District Records Procedure (Procedure 4040SP)
View a list of other statute exemptions outside of RCW 42.56.
Frequently Asked Questions
We are happy to help! Please review the FAQ below. For any additional questions please contact us at email@example.com.