Equity and Race Advisory Committee
Addressing Educational Equity Practices
Seattle Public Schools (Seattle Public Schools) created the Superintendent’s Equity and Race Advisory Committee to address educational equity practices in our schools and central office. This committee is a commitment to transforming our current practices at a systemic level to eliminate disproportionality in education and in all aspects of its administration. These efforts require a long-term commitment from our advisors that includes both making recommendations and staying engaged as our work progresses over time.
Based on feedback we received by previous equity task forces and on a survey completed by this group during the last academic year, suggest the following plan for designing and rolling out the Equity Advisory Committee.
Goals for this Advisory Committee:
- Represent diverse voices and perspectives across the education system and community on equity and race,
- Address authentic concerns with the current system and recognized disproportionality in education and in all aspects of its administration,
- Collaborate with District leaders to finalize the Ensuring Educational and Race Equity District Plan as well as making thoughtful and timely policy, procedures, and school support recommendations for change for the 2016-17 school year and
- Work with the district to ensure effective implementation of the Ensuring Providing equitable access to opportunities, resources and support for each and every Policy as well as Committee recommendations, as appropriate.
The purpose of the Advisory Committee is to:
- Make recommendations to the Superintendent for changes to District policies and procedures related to equity practices and systems;
- Monitor progress and outcomes of recommendations implemented; and,
- Serve as a two-way conduit of information to Seattle Public Schools diverse families and community members. We also ask that its members also serve as family and community connectors to the public, communicating the committee’s recommendations and progress.
Equity and Race Advisory Committee Meetings
- ERAC meets on the 2nd Monday of the month throughout the school year.
- For more information, please message DREA@seattleschools.org