The Source for Student Information
What is the Source?
Parent and guardian Source accounts display Seattle Public Schools student attendance, assessment scores, Elementary Progress Reports, Secondary Report cards and secondary assignment scores. SchoolPay, Schoology Access Codes and other information is also found on parent accounts.
- Parents and guardians of students actively enrolled in Seattle Public Schools may set up an account.
- Students actively enrolled in Seattle Public Schools will receive a username and password from their school. Students log onto the Source with their student account. If your student needs help, contact a teacher or the school librarian.
REMINDER: Students log onto the Source with the beginning of their username, they do not include @seattleschools.org
Setup Your Parent or Guardian Source Account
Before you setup your account:
- You must be on record as the parent or guardian of a student enrolled in Seattle Public Schools.
- Your email address must be on record at each student’s school.
- Confirm you provided the same email address for each SPS student in your family.
To setup your Parent or Guardian Source account:
- Visit http://ps.seattleschools.org/ and click the Sign Up! link.
- Type the email address on record, then click Enter
- Check your email for a message from firstname.lastname@example.org If you don’t receive this email:
- Check your Spam or Trash folders.
- Contact the school(s) to provide your email address.
- Open the email and click the link.
- Enter your Username (email address) and create a Password.
- Please do not use an apostrophe ‘ in your password.
- Click Enter to begin exploring the Source!
The video below explains how to set up a Source and Schoology account:
Log In to the Source
The Source Frequently Asked Questions
What do parents and guardians need to set up a Source account?
- You must be the parent or guardian of a student actively enrolled in Seattle Public Schools.
- Have the same valid email address on record at each student’s school. Your email address will be your Source username.
What is my parent/guardian Source username?
Your Source username is the email address you provided for the school record. If you do not remember, or have not provided an email address, contact the school so they may update the email address. Please provide the same email address for each Seattle Public Schools student in your family. Allow about 1 hour for the change to sync with the Source. Clear the cache on your browser, close your browser, reopen and set up your Source account with the new email address.
Is a student missing from your account?
If you have a Source account, but a student is missing, contact the school to update the email address on the student’s school record. Allow about 30 minutes for the change to sync with the Source. Clear the cache on your browser, close your browser, reopen and log onto the Source. The student will be on your account.
I forgot my username, password or need to change my password. What can I do?
Is there an APP to access the Source?
There is a PowerSchool mobile APP, but it does not include Seattle Public Schools customizations found on parent Source accounts including Assessment Scores, Report Cards and Progress Reports. To see all features, visit: http://ps.seattleschools.org If you wish to use the APP, be aware, all notifications are all set to default on.
To manage your notifications on the PowerSchool APP:
- Launch the PowerSchool APP
- Click the More icon from the lower right
- Click Account
- To manage Push Notifications
- Slide the button to the left to turn off Attendance and/or Grade Change notifications
- To manage Email Notifications
- If you have more than one child at Seattle Public Schools, select a student
- Slide each button to the left to turn off the notification you do not wish to receive
- Repeat for each student
I can log onto my parent/guardian account, but get an error when I try to reach some features:
In most cases, clearing the cache on your browser, closing and reopening TWICE will resolve the problem. You can also try using a different browser.
Can I manage my password with Keychain Technology?
If you choose to use a Keychain to manage your Source password, at each log in, you may be asked if you would like to update the password. In order to use the stored password, you must select not now . Seattle Public Schools is unable to address problems parents and guardians may have with password storage software.
Where can I find my student’s username?
Assignment details out of order?
When using an iPhone to view Source Grade Details, some users may notice assignments are out of order. To resolve this, refresh the screen by clicking the curved arrow symbol at the top of the screen, near the URL.
Why are dots showing up in the password field of the source log on screen?
Typically, if you get the extra Department of Technology Services and cannot log on, it is because you have forgotten your password, have a stored password you have not updated, or someone else used your device and stored a password. Please try clearing your cache, delete the Department of Technology Services and type in your password. You may want to set your browser to not store passwords or try a different browser.
Why do I receive a Security Violation or Unauthorized message/disabled accounts?
If you get a security violation or unauthorized message when trying to set up your Source account, it may be disabled. If you get one of these messages when trying to set up your Source account, please do the following:
- Please contact the main office of your student’s school to confirm or update your email address
- After the email address is confirmed, contact email@example.com to report you have confirmed your email address and need your Source account enabled
I am Traveling internationally (taking a trip outside the U.S.) Why can’t I access The Source?
The Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) has limited international network access for students to official school breaks, like mid-winter or spring break and only upon request. Otherwise, students are to follow the attendance policy for in-person learning.
If you would like to request international network access during an official school break, please submit your request to email@example.com with your student’s name and the dates of school break.
Can the Source be translated?
The Source is part of PowerSchool, our Student Information System and does not have a translate feature at this time. Source content should display in the language set on the browser. Grades, some assessment scores and attendance have been color coded. Red in the grade field represents a failing grade, red in the attendance field represents too many unexcused absences. Visit our English Language Learners website.
During enrollment, where can I find my student’s school assignment?
The Assignment Lookup Tool is available during enrollment. If you need assistance, please contact Admissions at 206-252-0760 or customer service.
If after reviewing these resources, you still need assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Brief description of the problem
- Your full name and relationship to the student
- Each student’s full name
- Each student’s 7 digit Seattle Schools student ID#
- Each student’s school