African American Male Achievement (AAMA)
The Office of African American Male Achievement (AAMA)
How AAMA Works
The Office of African American Male Achievement (The Office of African American Male Achievement) is a driver of systemic change, not a program. By listening to the experiences and solutions of students and inviting engagement from families and the greater community, The Office of African American Male Achievement works to dismantle the systemic racism embedded in the public education system.
The Office of African American Male Achievement works with Black boys and teens to reconstruct school systems and structures to meet their unique needs, advance public education as a tool for transformation and liberation, and create a strong learning environment that attends to the social, emotional, and educational needs of students.
We are actively becoming an anti-racist educational system. By ensuring Black male students thrive, conditions will improve for all students in Seattle Public Schools
The Office of African American Male Achievement works to ensure that the educational environment across the system supports the brilliance and excellence of Black boys and teens.
In alignment with Seattle Excellence, the district’s strategic plan and collective commitment to unapologetically support and serve students and families furthest from educational justice, The Office of African American Male Achievement is committed to the long journey required for the positive transformation of Seattle Public Schools, and has been working to achieve that vision every day since its founding in 2019.
Seattle Public Schools is the first district in Washington state, and one of the few across the nation, to create an office that intentionally cultivates the cultural and academic strengths of African American male students while simultaneously addressing their needs.
Our Voice, Our Vision
The Office of African American Male Achievement is proud to publish “Our Voice, Our Vision: Strategies for Supporting Black Excellence in Seattle Public Schools,” a report that explores how our Black boys, teens, and families experience our school system.Read the report
Four Strategic Areas of Focus
AAMA’s work focuses on four strategic areas: culture, conditions, competencies, and community connection.
Our mantra for community engagement is “Listen. Act. Repeat.” We’re actively involving Black students, families, partners, community elders, and the greater Seattle community in building a system that celebrates the brilliance of Black boys and teens throughout Seattle Public Schools. The Office of African American Male Achievement is currently in phase one of our three-phase strategic plan, which is outlined below.
Phase 1: Discovery
- Virtual classroom visits
- Listening and learning campaign
- Building the foundation of the Office of The Office of African American Male Achievement, including fundraising and hiring staff
- Launch of The Office of African American Male Achievement Student Leadership Council
Phase 2: Research and Development
- Landscape review of effective practices & research
- Review of national models for educating Black male students
- Interviews with national practitioners and system leaders that are changing the trajectories of Black male students
Phase 3: Strategy Development
- Gap analysis of Seattle Public Schools resources for Black male students
- Pilot-test and refine programs
- Black Excellence campaign
- Training and convenings on competencies and strategic work
Key AAMA Initiatives
In alignment with the four strategic focus areas, The Office of African American Male Achievement staff has been focused on the following initiatives:
- Listening and Learning Campaign: The Office of African American Male Achievement is engaging and learning from district staff, students, families, and the broader community through forms of outreach such as virtual events and individual home visits.
- Landscape Audit: The Office of African American Male Achievement is assessing Seattle Public Schools culture, conditions, and leadership competencies to identify promising practices and areas of opportunity.
- Student Leadership Council: The Office of African American Male Achievement is centering Black male student voices and perspectives in every aspect, function and department of Seattle Public Schools.
- Informational Campaign: The Office of African American Male Achievement is building community awareness, understanding, engagement and buy-in of AAMA’s mission, process and work.
- Strategic Plan: The Office of African American Male Achievement developing a multi-year strategic implementation plan based on findings and insights from the Listening and Learning Campaign.