Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Substitute Information

    The Substitute Office coordinates substitute coverage for positions such as Clerical Staff, Paraeducators and Teachers using Frontline Absence Management (formerly known as AESOP).  Absence Management is an automated sub-calling system that can be accessed by internet or phone.

    We support more than 100 schools and programs in our district, and we ask for your commitment to collaborate with us as we support all of our students.

    District employees and substitutes can find needed forms and information on the MySPS Substitutes page (login required).

    Become a Substitute

    Substitute Job Opportunities

    School Directory

    Substitutes Salary Schedules

    If you are already a substitute with Seattle Public Schools, please visit the MySPS Substitute page for more information.



    Substitute Frequently Asked Questions

    Do substitute teachers in Seattle need certificates?

    Generally, yes. However, we do accept applicants who qualify for an "Emergency Substitute Certificate" to work in some of our harder-to-fill schools. If you are interested in becoming an emergency substitute teacher, email the Substitute Office at

    How do I apply to be a substitute teacher and how long does it take to be placed on the list?

    All available positions are listed in one place - click here to view and apply for substitute opportunities. One application serves to apply for all positions including substitutes. When you apply to individual positions, you will be asked to answer supplemental questions. Please review each job announcement to determine if additional materials are required. Important updates and announcements about special circumstances or activities are posted on the Careers home page. Applications are reviewed weekly as needed.

    What is the pay rate for certificated substitutes?

    Pay rate information is included in the job postings and job descriptions for each position.

    What is the pay rate for classified substitutes?

    Pay rate information is included in the job postings and job descriptions for each position.

    What is a long-term substitute?

    Within Seattle Schools, a long-term substitute is a teacher who is assigned for 45 or more consecutive work days in one assignment. The teacher will receive benefits once the 45-day requirement has been met and the paperwork for benefits submitted.

    Do classified substitutes receive increased pay and benefits for working in a long term assignment?

    Classified substitutes do not receive pay differential and benefits for long term assignments.

    Classified and Certificated Substitutes must work at least 10 days per school year to remain on Substitute roster. If you work 9 or fewer days per school year, you will be automatically purged from Aesop. You will not be notified. If you work 9 or  fewer days you will have to re-apply abefore you will be eligible to sub for Seattle Public Schools again.

    What is the 16-Day contract payment that applies to certificated substitutes?

    Certificated Substitutes earn contract pay (pay based on the teacher salary schedule) after 16 consecutive days in the same assignment. Call the Substitute Office around your 16th day to make sure a report will be processed for you.

    At the end of each month a report is generated showing who reached 16 days during that month. Then by the 10th of the following month, individual reports are created and given to the Classification and Compensation department for them to research and do a salary placement. Once this is done, they mail out a copy of their report to each individual and return the originals to the Sub Office for the payroll tech to input salary placement. Your retro pay will be reflected on the next pay warrant.


    16th day reached between October 1 and October 30
    October 31 - The 16 day report is generated
    November 9 – Individual reports to Classification and Compensation department
    November 20 – Payroll salary placement data entry done
    December 1 – Pay Warrant reflecting 16 day retro pay

    How do substitutes earn sick leave?

    Short-Term Assignment Sick Leave Accrual:
    Hourly employees (including part-time workers, short-term substitutes and seasonal workers) will accrue paid sick leave at a minimum rate of 1 hour of paid sick leave for every 40 hours worked.

    Unused paid sick leave of 40 hours or less will be carried over to the following year.

    Visit the Paid Sick Leave page to learn more about short-term assignment sick leave accrual and use.

    Longer-Term Assignment Sick Leave Accrual:

    Substitutes serving in one (1) single assignment up to and including twenty (20) consecutive workdays shall be credited with one (1) day of sick leave for each twenty (20) consecutive work days in that assignment. This sick leave shall accumulate from year to year and apply to all substitute assignments of twenty-one (21) consecutive workdays or more. Substitutes who serve in assignments of twenty-one (21) or more consecutive workdays shall be entitled to Bereavement Leave. One day missed within the first twenty (20) days of an assignment will not be counted against a substitute’s progress toward a consecutive day requirement. Contact the Substitute Office if you have any questions.

    Do substitutes become eligible for medical benefits?

    Classified and Certificated Substitutes are eligible for Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits after 45 consecutive days in the same assignment. If a substitute takes a long-term job exceeding 45 days, benefits will be offered at the start of the assignment when known.

    Can substitutes enroll in Professional Development classes?

    Yes. See Professional Development listings for appropriate classes.

    Do substitutes qualify for unemployment insurance during school year breaks or holidays?

    Because scheduled, unpaid periods are predetermined by the negotiated school calendar, these recess periods do not qualify for unemployment compensation. This is due to the fact that you have reasonable assurance that following each of the vacation/recess periods you remain active on our substitute list unless you indicate otherwise to us.

    How can substitutes earn retirement benefits?

    Purchasing service credit for substitute work - If you work as a classified or certificated substitute, your employer reports to the Department of Retirement Systems (DRS) the amount of service performed. To receive credit for your service, you must apply for it with DRS. For more information, such as purchase deadlines and cost calculations, please refer to the Substitute's Guide appropriate for your plan, which can be found at You may also contact DRS at 1-800-547-6657.

    Contact Us

    Contact HR