June 7, 2023 – Regular Board Meeting
Agenda Final Post 6/7/23
Regular Legislative Session
Wednesday, June 7 2023, 4:15 p.m.
Board of Directors
2445 – 3rd Avenue South
Seattle, Washington 98134
Seattle Public Schools
IMPORTANT NOTE: The meeting will be live streamed on SPSTV and broadcast on television on Comcast 26 (standard-def) and 319 (hi-def), Wave 26 (standard-def) and 695 (hi-def), and Century Link 8008 (standard-def) and 8508 (hi-def). To listen by phone, dial 206-800-4125 and use Conference ID 514 249 177# This phone number and Conference ID will also be used by those who sign up to provide public testimony through the process described on the Agenda below.
All in-person attendees must adhere to any health and safety protocols communicated onsite. Please do not come to the John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever (100.4 F); chills; cough; shortness of breath or difficulty breathing; fatigue; muscle or body aches; headache; recent loss of taste or smell; sore throat; congestion or runny nose; nausea or vomiting; or diarrhea.
I. Call to Order – 4:15 p.m.
- General Welcome Announcement to Audience
- Roll Call
II. Superintendent Comments
III. School Board Student Member Comments
IV. Board Comments
V. Work Session: State Auditor’s Office Exit Conference (Materials added 6/6/2023)
VI. Public Testimony – 5:00 p.m.
Testimony is planned to begin at 5:00 p.m. for this meeting due to the work session.
Members of the public who wish to address the board in person or by teleconference may sign up online or by calling 206-252-0040, beginning Monday, June 5, 2023 at 8:00 a.m. The public testimony list will be posted Tuesday, June 6, 2023.Those who are placed on the posted public testimony list may provide their testimony by dialing 206-800-4125 and using Conference ID 514 249 177# For information on how the public testimony list is created, please visit the Board’s website.
|1||Chris Jackins||Rainier Beach property acquisition; termination of joint operating agreement between SPS and TAF; budget|
|2||Elizabeth Swarny||Elementary counseling positions|
|3||Saida Ahmed||School Counselors|
|4||Chloe Kimiai||School counseling – running start funding|
|5||Claire Abe||Counselors and social workers|
|6||Napsiyah Sallee||School Counselor funding|
|7||Helin Taskesen||School Counselors|
|8||Hawa Ismail||School Counselors|
|9||Joe Donohoe||Mental health supports to students – return running start funds to schools|
|10||John Taylor||Need for mental health counseling|
|11||Brett Gramer||ASL Teacher for TOPS K-8|
|12||Lucas Gramer||ASL teacher for TOPS K-8|
|13||Allison Augustyn||School Consolidation, Stevens Elementary|
|14||Laura Gramer||ASL teacher and DHH issues at TOPS K-8|
|15||Tim Sullivan||Student transportation and rezoning plans for school consolidation|
|16||Francis Lin||Funding for Counselors|
|17||Laura Marie Rivera||Equity in education|
|18||Cherylynne Crowther||Special education|
|19||Kera Gagner||ASL Interpreter|
|20||Brooke Gagner||ASL Interpreter|
VII. Business Action Items
A. Consent Agenda
- Minutes of the May 3, 2023 Board Special Meeting, May 10, 2023 Board Special Meeting, and May 17, 2023 Regular Board Meeting
- Personnel Report
- Warrants Report
Warrants Report – April 16 thru May 15, 2023
The following warrants as audited and certified by the auditing officer, as required by RCW 42.24.08, are approved for payment:
|Capital Project Fund||Vendor||$15,315,576.67|
|Associated Student Body Fund||Vendor||$433,702.31|
|Expendable Trust Fund||Vendor||$0.00|
*Note – Payroll total reflects warrants issued to employees. It does not however, reflect cash transfer amounts in payment of employees’ Direct Deposit payroll.
- The City of Seattle Department of Education & Early Learning (DEEL) Mental Health Funding for 2023-2024 School Year Approval of this item would authorize the Superintendent to accept the City of Seattle DEEL Mental Health grant of up to $1,750,000 for the 2023-24 school year. Immediate action is in the best interest of the district. (Updated 6/2/23 and 6/7/23)
- Approval of Board Resolution 2022/23-20, Termination of Joint Operating Agreement between Seattle Public Schools and Technology Access Foundation Approval of this item would approve Board Resolution 2022/23-20, Termination of Joint Operating Agreement between Seattle Public Schools and Technology Access Foundation. Immediate action is in the best interest of the District.
Consent Agenda Items Previously Introduced
- Amendment to Board Policy Nos. 1220, Board Officers and Duties of the Board; 1240, Committees; 1250, School Board Student Members; 1310, Policy Adoption Suspension, Manuals and Superintendent Procedures; 1400, Meeting Conduct, Order of Business and Quorum; 1420, Proposed Agendas and Consent Agenda; 1620, Board-Superintendent Relationship; 2015, Selection & Adoption of Instructional Materials; 6550, Internal Audit Policy; and Board Procedures 1620BP, Board-Superintendent Relationship Procedure, 1630BP, Evaluation of the Superintendent; and 6550BP, Internal Audit Procedure. Approval of this item would amend Board Policy Nos. 1220, 1240, 1250, 1310, 1400, 1420, 1620, 2015, and 6550 and Board Procedures 1620BP, 1630BP, and 6550BP, as attached to the Board Action Report.
- BEX V: Property acquisition for the purchase of Seattle Public Utilities property located at 8817 Seward Park Ave South, Seattle, WA 98118 for improvement of Rainier Beach High School Approval of this item would approve the purchase of Seattle Public Utilities property, located at 8817 Seward Park Ave South, Seattle, WA 98118, in the amount of $1,250,000, with any minor additions, deletions, modifications and actions deemed necessary by the Superintendent to implement the contract.
B. Items Removed from the Consent Agenda
C. Action Items
Selection of School Board Student Members for 2023-24 Approval of this item would select __________________ as the three School Board Student Members for the 2023-24 school year. Immediate action is in the best interest of the district. (Intro & Action)(Removed from agenda 6/2/23. This item will be moved to the 6/21/23 Regular Board Meeting)
D. Introduction Items
- Approval of Annual Highly Capable Program Plan for 2022-2023 Approval of this item would approve the Highly Capable Program Plan (as attached to the Board Action Report) for submission to OSPI for school year 2022-2023 and that the School Board authorize the Superintendent to apply for the allocation of funds from OSPI.
VIII: Board Self-Evaluation
IX. Informational Items
- Board Director Questions and Staff Responses for June 7, 2023 Regular Board Meeting (Materials added 6/2/2023)
X. Adjourn – 8:30 p.m.
A complete list of upcoming Board meetings and Director community meetings can be found on the School Board calendar website. If you have any questions, please contact the School Board Office at 206-252-0040.