Renewal of the Educational Programs and Operations Levy (EP&O)
Thank you Seattle voters! You approved the Educational Programs and Operations levy with more than 78% voting yes. This levy renews the previous operations levy, which expired in 2022.
Approval of the EP&O levy continues funding for day-to-day operations, staffing positions, academic programs and student opportunities that are not fully funded by the state.
The Educational Programs and Operations (EP&O) Levy Funds:
- School staff: Helps pay for teachers’ salaries and support staff, like school nurses and custodians.
- For instance, the state funds nine nurses, but thanks to the levy we employ 68
- Supports and programs: Continues funding for special education, child nutrition programs and social-emotional health, as well as programs such as Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
- For instance, the state funds $82 million for special education, but thanks to the levy we can fund our special education program at $180 million — a $98 million gap.
- Opportunities for students, including funding for athletics, arts, drama, and music
- For instance, the state provides zero dollars for athletics, but the levy funds $4 million toward athletic opportunities for students.
EP&O Levy Amount
This levy will raise $646.8 million over three years. Property owners will continue to pay for an EP&O levy when the current one expires in 2022. The replacement rate is estimated to be 74 to 75 cents per $1,000 of assessed property value. The levy is collected from 2023-2025. The rate approved by voters in 2019 was $1.05 per $1,000 of assessed property value, and collection over the three-year levy has ranged from $1.05 to 65 cents per $1,000 assessed property value.
Local levies, which must be approved by Seattle voters, provide 15% of the Seattle Public Schools operating budget. This chart shows the funding sources for the 2021-22 fiscal year. This does not include funding from capital levies, which are reserved for specific purposes described in each levy.
Operations Levy: firstname.lastname@example.org