Building Excellence V (Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More V) Guiding Principles
Adopted by the School Board May 9, 2018
With the overarching framework of Ensuring Providing equitable access to opportunities, resources and support for each and every (Board Policy No. 0030) where ?This means differentiating resource allocation, within budgetary limitations, to meet the needs of students who need more supports and opportunities to succeed academically?? the Board adopts the following guiding principles for the Building Excellence (Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More) V Capital Levy:
- Building Safety and Security
Healthy, accessible and safe facilities to specifically include critical seismic upgrades, safe drinking water, security systems, emergency response equipment, sufficient core spaces (i.e. lunchrooms, libraries, and bathrooms), and safe playgrounds.
- Right-Size Capacity
Plan for buildings to have sufficient classrooms and core facilities in permanent structure (i.e. typically less than 10 percent of school in temporary/portable classrooms) to match student enrollment demand and appropriate lot coverage.
- Building Conditions and Educational Alignment
Prioritize renovating the poorest condition and most crowded schools to ensure healthy, inclusive and inspiring educational environments which appropriately support education programming.
- Environmental and Financial Sustainability
Buildings to be constructed or renovated with a focus on conservation of resources both for ongoing operational costs as well as preservation of district investments.
- Updating Technology
Balance investments between central office Infrastructure, student and employee data security and privacy, and updating classroom hardware and software with a focus on tools that assist student learning and enhance educator instruction.
In addition to the guiding principles adopted on May 9, the School Board Policy 6901 establishes priorities for selection of capital levy projects and directs that in addition, Guiding Principles will be set for each capital levy.
- All projects should align with the district?s mission and vision.
- The health, safety and security of students, staff and public are important and must be protected.
- Capacity Management must be met to assure that the short-, intermediate- and long-term enrollment are matched with available space, taking into account costs and educational adequacy of facilities.
- Building condition scores for building systems, such as exterior, Types of mechanical systems that provide heat and air in school buildings., plumbing, structural shall be considered.
- Educational adequacy of buildings shall be considered, focusing on raising student achievement.
- Planning will take into account past District capital assets through construction and remodeling projects. and future levy plans.