Waste Sorting Help Sheet
Waste Sorting Help Sheet – Seattle Public Schools
- All food scraps, including: fruits, vegetables, coffee grounds & filters, tea bags, shells & bones, pasta & rice, eggshells, nutshells, bread & grains, meat, fish & dairy.
- Food-soiled paper, including: uncoated (not shiny) paper bags, paper towels & napkins, greasy pizza boxes, uncoated (not shiny) food-soiled uncoated paper plates and trays, & shredded paper.
- Paper lined with compostable material (ex: brown paper boats that say “compostable” on the bottom) and waxed paper
- Plant and yard waste, including: flowers and houseplants, leaves, branches and grass clippings.
- Paper – Homework, drawings (once both sides are used is best,) colored art paper
- BIG Lids and caps larger than three inches in diameter
- Empty juice boxes, milk cartons, plastic bottles, coffee cups and lids (larger than 3”)
- Empty plastic cereal bowls and juice cups with lid removed
- “Spoon clean” plastic yogurt and applesauce cups with lid removed
- SMALL plastic caps and lids less than three inches in diameter
- Plastic straws, forks, spoons, knives
- Pencils, pens, glue sticks, erasers, and crayons (or you can re-melt broken crayons into new ones to use again)
- Foil juice containers (ex: Capri Sun)
- Plastic film (ex: Saran Wrap, film lid on single-use cereal bowls)
- Chip bags, ziplock bags, candy wrappers, carrot/apple/roll bags
- Liquid – please pour out all liquid into a sink or basin at the sort line