Seattle School Board Student Members
Role, Responsibilities, and Time Commitment
The Seattle School Board believes students possess valuable insight and should have a paramount voice in the education received from the district and in the decisions made by the board.
Inspired by the Angela Davis quote that “Walls turned sideways are bridges,” the board recognizes the organizational structure of the district can create a wall between decision makers and the students the district serves.
The School Board Student Member positions were created School Board Policy No. 1250, School Board Student Members, in response to student advocacy about the need to uplift and increase student voices within Seattle Public Schools; to work toward a student-centered educational system; and to help students understand the educational system around them and share their perspectives with district leadership.
Beginning with the 2022-23 school year, the board will annually seat School Board Student Members to represent student voice through board committees and regular board meetings.
School Board Student Members will hold non-voting advisory positions, but will contribute to discussion by providing student insight and perspective, advocating their positions on district issues or needs, and serving as liaisons between the board and students.
School Board student members will have the opportunity to participate in district policy development processes and counsel board directors on the impacts of potential district actions on students. They are also charged with engaging students and student groups for feedback and with carrying forward the diverse perspectives of Seattle Public Schools students.
Student Application for 2023-24 – DEADLINE EXTENDED
Applications for the 2023-24 student member positions open March 6, 2023 and will close
April 3, 2023 April 7, 2023 (11:59pm).
Students entering their junior or senior year are eligible to apply for a one-year term that will begin August 2023 and conclude at the end of the 2023-24 school year.
Who Can Apply?
School Board Student Members should reflect the impressive diversity of the district; represent a variety of interests, perspectives, and backgrounds; and possess an awareness of challenges and barriers that they or others experience in education and in society.
Applicants must be:
- A Seattle Public Schools student entering their junior or senior year of high school at the time of selection;
- On track to graduate; and
- Continue to be enrolled in Seattle Public Schools through the school year of their term.
- While serving, School Board Student Members must be enrolled in courses that ensure normal progress towards graduation and maintain the number of credits necessary for advancement to the next grade level.
Apply to be a Student School Board Member
The application includes two (2) parts: a written application form with short answer questions; and two recommendations. The application is estimated to take up to one (1) week to fill out.
Completed applications are due
April 3, 2023 April 7, 2023 (11:59pm).
Contact us with questions about applying to be a School Board Student Member.
The School Board Student Member application consists of:
Phase 1 (due by
April 3 April 7, 2023 (11:59pm))
- Written short answers submitted through the online application form for student applicants
- Two recommendations submitted through an online recommendation form
Phase 2 (late April)
- Video submission (students selected by selection committee to move forward will receive prompt)
Phase 3 (early May)
- Interview (students selected by selection committee to move forward will receive request to schedule interview)
Applications will be reviewed for eligibility and then evaluated by a student-led selection committee. Applicants selected to move forward in the first round of selection will be asked to submit a video response to a prompt. Applicants selected to move forward in the second round of selection will be invited to participate in an interview.
- March 6, Application Opens: Students interested in applying or who want to know more about the process are asked to notify the School Board Office using the online form or Let’s Talk.
- March 23: Information session will be held for students interested in applying, or who have questions about the Student Member role and/or application process.
- Watch a recording of the information session.
April 3April 7, 2023 (11:59pm), Applications Due: Complete applications consisting of answers to written questions and two recommendations are due.
- April 3 – May 17, 2023: Student-led Evaluation Committee reviews applications. Applicants selected to move forward in the first round will be asked to submit video statements. The Selection Committee will then select applicants for interviews, conduct interviews, and make the final selection.
- June 2023: Finalists are presented to the Board during a Regular Board Meeting. School Board considers recommended candidates. School Board votes to finalize selection of the 2023-24 School Board Student Members.
- August 2023: School Board Student Members complete orientation.
- September 2023: First School Board meeting with 2023-24 School Board Student Members.