Main navigation

3141 Non-resident Students

Any student who resides outside the District may apply to attend school in the District. However, the District recognizes a primary obligation to school age children who reside within the District.  When it is determined space is available within the District, the District will accept otherwise qualified nonresident students each school year. Nonresident students may enroll during a time period which will be established each year. The nonresident enrollment period will occur after Open Enrollment, the period when resident students may request transfers.  However, nonresident students seeking enrollment in an Open Doors Youth Reengagement program will not be subject to this timeline.  The District shall provide information on interdistrict enrollment policies to nonresidents upon request and will have copies of the Superintendent of Public Instruction’s annual information booklet on enrollment options in the state available for public inspection at each school building, the central office, and local public libraries. 

A parent/guardian shall apply for admission on behalf of his or her child by completing the appropriate District application. The Superintendent or his or her designee shall develop an application form which contains information including, but not limited to, the current legal residence of the child and the school district in which he or she is currently enrolled or receiving home-based instruction, the basis for requesting release from the resident district, the child’s grade level, and the preferred buildings in which the student desires to be enrolled if accepted by the District. 

The Superintendent or his or her designee will accept or reject an application for nonresident admission based upon the following standards: 

  1. Whether space is available in the student’s grade level or the student’s selected classes;
  2. Whether space is available in the programs or services needed to address the educational needs of the nonresident student;
  3. Whether the student’s attendance in the District is likely to create a risk to the health or safety of other students or staff;
  4. Whether the student’s acceptance would constitute a financial hardship for the District;
  5. Whether the student’s disciplinary records indicate a history of discipline offenses or criminal convictions/adjudications, violent or disruptive behavior, or gang membership (a gang means a group of three or more persons with identifiable leadership that on an ongoing basis regularly conspires and acts in concert mainly for criminal purposes);
  6. Whether the student has been expelled or suspended from a public school for more than ten consecutive days, in which case the student may apply for admission under the district’s policy for readmission of expelled students; and
  7. Whether the parent/guardian can provide transportation for the nonresident student.

If the nonresident student is the child of a full-time certificated or classified school employee, an exception to the nonresident timeline will allow the employee to request enrollment at the start of Open Enrollment established for resident students if the only request for school assignment is the employee’s worksite or if the requested school is part of the worksite’s K-12 continuum. The Superintendent or his or her designee shall accept the transfer request unless the nonresident student: 

  1. Has a history of discipline offenses or criminal convictions/adjudications, violent or disruptive behavior, or gang membership;
  2. Has been expelled or suspended from school for more than ten consecutive days;
  3. Enrollment of a child would displace a child who is a resident of the district, (the child must be permitted to remain enrolled until he or she completes his or her schooling); or
  4. The Student has repeatedly failed to comply with requirements for participation in an online school program, such as participating in weekly direct contact with the teacher or monthly progress evaluations.

The Superintendent or his or her designee in a timely manner shall provide all applicants with written notification of the approval or denial of the application. If the student is to be admitted, the Superintendent or his or her designee shall notify the resident district and make necessary arrangements for the transfer of student records. 

If the application is denied, the Superintendent or his or her designee will notify the parent or guardian of the right to file a transfer appeal with the District. A final decision shall be promptly communicated to the parent in writing, including the right to appeal to OSPI. 

The final decision of the district to deny the admission of a nonresident student may be appealed to the Superintendent of Public Instruction or his or her designee. 

Nonresident students are accepted into the District, not into a school or program and are accepted for only one academic year. 

Termination of Assignment 

Nonresident student enrollment may be terminated if: 

  1. The resident student population increases to the point that there is insufficient capacity for non-resident students in the assigned school or program, in which case the nonresident student(s) will be offered attendance at another school or program if space exists elsewhere; 
  1. Information about the student’s instructional needs, or academic or disciplinary records, were unknown or materially misrepresented on the application; 
  1. The student is suspended or expelled from the school or District under standard disciplinary procedures; or 
  1. The student has engaged in violent or disruptive behavior. 


Nonresident students may arrange to be provided District transportation under the following conditions:  

  1. High School and Middle School students may utilize existing bus routes serving their assigned school.
  2. Elementary / K-8 students:
  1. The parent/guardian must provide an alternate or childcare address within the District that conforms to the existing bus routes for the student’s assigned school.
  2. The parent/guardian must provide contact person for the alternate or childcare address.
  1. The parent/guardian is responsible to ensure transportation to the existing bus route, childcare, or alternate address.