Lisa Rivera Smith: District 2 School Board Director
Director Rivera Smith (she/her; Chicana/Mexican American)
School Board Member-at-Large
Director Lisa Rivera Smith proudly represents District 2 on the Seattle School Board. District 2 includes the Wallingford, Fremont, Green Lake, Greenwood and Maple Leaf neighborhoods.
She was elected to a four-year term in the November 2019 general election.
Committee and Liaison Assignments
- Executive Committee, Member-at-Large
- Operations Committee, Chair
- Building Excellence Capital Levy provides resources for school construction, renovations, and additions. More and Building Renovations, Technology and Academic/Athletics Levy provides resources for seismic improvements, roof More Capital Programs Oversight Committee Liaison
- Head Start is a federally funded child development program for children and Program Liaison
- Capital Change Order Review Liaison
- Daniel Bagley Elementary
- B.F. Day Elementary
- Cascadia Elementary
- Eagle Staff Middle School
- Green Lake Elementary
- Greenwood Elementary
- Hamilton International Middle School
- Lincoln High School
- McDonald Elementary
- Olympic View Elementary
- Sacajawea Elementary
- John Stanford International Elementary School
- Whittier Elementary
About Lisa Rivera Smith
Originally from central California, Lisa attended California State University, Chico where she earned a Bachelors degree in Journalism (News Editorial), and a Minor in Ethics. While there, she served as an editor on the university’s award-winning newspaper, and when she graduated, she was awarded the CSU, Chico Presidential Medal for Contribution to Student Life.
Lisa came to Seattle in 2000 to become The Seattle Times’ first ever 3-year Editorial Intern. While there, she joined fellow Pacific Northwest Newspaper Guild union members from the Seattle Times and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in a 49-day strike against both papers. She continues to be a strong supporter of unions and workers.
A wife and mother of three, Lisa has spent many years as an advocate for progressive causes, and as a volunteer for educational, environmental and service organizations. These have included:
- Hamilton International Middle School PTSA (President and VP of Communications)
- Lincoln High School PTSA (founder and Co-President)
- Community for Youth
- Communities in Schools of Seattle
- Seattle Labor Chorus
- Girl Scouts of Western Washington – Woodland Park Day Camp
- 43rd LD Environmental Caucus
- Environment and Climate Caucus of the Washington State Democrats
- New Dawn Guatemala
Contact Director Rivera Smith
Lisa welcomes your emails, phone calls, texts and social media messages.
Be well, stay strong and keep in touch!
Lisa Rivera Smith
School Board Director
Please be aware that written communications sent to Board Directors, including emails sent to this email address, are potentially subject to public disclosure, in whole or in part, pursuant to the Washington Public Records Act, RCW 42.56.