Return of SPS Student Devices
Posted: | Updated:
Summary: Most students will return the SPS device and accessories at the end of the school year.
Returning SPS Device and Accessories June 2022
Seattle Public Schools (SPS) student devices will need to be returned to your school before the end of the school year. If the SPS device and accessories are not returned, you will be charged a fine.
Students who need to return the SPS device and accessories
- Most students will return their SPS device.
- All students who will not be enrolled in SPS in the fall.
- Students who are attending Seattle Public School’s summer academic programs at an SPS location will return their current device and be re-issued another device for the SPS summer academic programs. The SPS summer programs include Extended School Year (ESY), Recovery Services, K-8 Summer Staircase, or Credit Retrieval.
Students who can keep the SPS device over the summer
- If your student is attending a summer academic program that is NOT hosted at an SPS location (An example would be Upward Bound at Seattle University)
- Note: You will see a fine on your account which will be removed when the SPS device is returned at the end of the summer program. To make arrangements for this return, please call our Student TechLine at 206-252-0100 or email email@example.com
- If your student is a member of a district student leadership committee such as the AAMA Student Leadership Council.
- If your student receives special education services and they have a device that was issued as part of their Individualized Education Program (IEP). This includes student devices issued by the Department of Technology Services the student uses with IEP accommodations and/or devices directly issued by Special Education Assistive Technology (typically tagged with a bright green contact sticker).
As announced at the beginning of the school year, a fine will be applied to the student account if the device or accessory is not returned. If your school did not issue any of the accessories listed below, you will not be charged.
Devices and accessories to be returned
- Laptops ($350 fine), laptop bag ($10.50 fine), and laptop charger ($48 fine)
- iPads ($250 fine), iPad case ($49 fine), and iPad charger ($40 fine)
- WiFi hotspots and charger
Parents or guardians will be able to pay the fine(s) online through their Source Account.
Fines can also be paid at your student’s school. Please check with the school office about how to pay student fines at school.
If you have questions, please contact the Student Techline at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-252-0100.
Device Collection FAQs
My student did not return the device to school and now it is closed for the summer, what do I do?
Nathan Hale High School, Chief Sealth International High School, Garfield High School and the John Stanford Center will be open the following days. You can knock on the front entrance door.
- June 23, 2 to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 28, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Thursday, June 30, 2 to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 9, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Thursday, August 11, 2 to 5p.m.
My student’s device or charger is damaged, what do I do?
The $25 upfront fee that your family paid at the beginning of the school year covers all repairs and/or damage to your device or charger. Please still turn in the damaged device or charger to your student’s school.
My student is free and reduced lunch or due to financial hardship, they did not pay the $25 upfront fee, is this a problem?
Not a problem, your student is covered for all repairs and/or damage to your device or charger. Please still turn in the damaged device or charger to your student’s school.
My student’s device has been lost or stolen, what happens next?
If it was stolen, please submit a police report and your fine will be waived. If your student’s device has been lost, a fine will be charged to your student’s account.
I have a fine and want to pay now, how do I do this?
You can pay your student’s fine at their assigned school or on The Source.