Apply to be a Student School Board Member
Posted: | Updated:
Summary: Students entering their junior or senior year are eligible to apply to be a student member of the Seattle School Board for the 2022-23 school year.
Are you a student who wants to make a difference? Apply to be a Student School Board Member!
Seattle School Board is accepting applications for three student school board members. The student school board members will provide guidance to the board.
What: School Board Student Members for 2022-23
When: Applications due April 20, 11:59 p.m.
Who: Current 10th and 11th grade Seattle Public Schools students
Students entering their junior or senior year are eligible to apply for a one-year term (August 2022 – July 2023). Applications are due April 20, 2022. Join an information session to learn more: Thursday, March 24, 5:30 p.m., or Tuesday, April 5, 5:30 p.m.
The student school board positions are new positions, created by School Board Policy No. 1250, School Board Student Members. Student board members will not be voting members but will serve as advisors to the Seattle School Board.
Like other Washington state public school districts, Seattle Public Schools is governed by a school board. The Seattle School Board is an elected body of seven citizens who represent the geographical regions of Seattle. The board is responsible for hiring the superintendent, setting district policies and annual budgets, adopting new instructional materials, and serving as community representatives of the district.
Responsibilities, Time Commitment, and Compensation
The student members should expect to spend 10-20 hours a month in their role. The number of hours a month may vary but will not exceed 20 hours.
Student School Board Members will:
- Attend regular School Board meetings (twice a month).
- Student school board members will be assigned to a committee (monthly). Student members will attend and take part in their assigned committee discussions.
- Review School Board materials to prepare for meetings.
- Meet with students, staff and a board mentor to discuss upcoming School Board decisions.
The student board member positions are paid. School Board student members will receive $17.27/hour for their work in this role. Students will need permission to work from a parent or guardian.
- Students must be entering their junior or senior year of high school
- Students must be enrolled in Seattle Public Schools
- Students must be on track to graduate
- Students must be available to participate for the entire school year as student school board members
- Students must be on time and participate in board meetings.
Learn More and Apply
The application process will include an online application form, submission of a short-video statement, two recommendations that can speak to your leadership (for example: a teacher, school staff, community member, mentor, coach, peer, supervisor or manager, etc.). Family members cannot be references.
You can complete the interest form to receive information and reminders about the application. The interest form is not required for your application.
You can learn more and apply on the Student School Board Member webpage.