IPAC Meeting Minutes 9/9/21
Seattle Public Schools Native Education
Title Vl, Indian Parent Advisory Committee
Thursday September 9, 2021
Welcome Back Students and Families of Seattle Public Schools!
In attendance: Gail Morris, Amy Markishtum, Emma Medicine White Crow, JW, Keith Creighton, Aaron, Tonia Galindo, Clysta Cole, Boo Balkan Foster, Phoenix Johnson, Monica Jackson, Stone, Donna Hale Wolcott, Juliana
- Introductions of all attending the meeting
- Approval of minutes –
Motion to approve: Tonia
- Welcome back
Gail introduced herself and welcomed everyone.
- Native Education Update:
- Boo Balkan Foster has been honored as teach of the year for our region. She will be considered for the teacher of the year for the entire state.
- Introductions of Native Ed staff.
- Discussed online options, which mean being disenrolled from Seattle Public Schools
- Transportation is an issue across the country and is a problem, here.
- Native Ed staff is reaching out to families. Please contact Gail if you feel her staff can help.
- Culture night supplies have been purchased for when families are able to meet in person again.
- Working on changing racist school names with students
- Every year we have dinner and gifts for students at Daybreak Star. We don’t yet know if we can do this, but we’ll keep the discussion happening.
- Hoping to write some grants and creative ways to get gift cards
- Boo described her experience so far as teacher of the year
- Check in with your students. There are resources available for student counseling if needed.
- Chief Seattle Club has money to help with back and current rent and utility support if necessary
- Jenny Miller is putting together a list of food banks.
- We have lists of community resources on our website
- Phoenix mentioned she has been working on getting the Salmon Bay logo to be changed. There is an agreement to redo the art. It has been a process. She is looking for an artist and support/help.
- If anyone wants to meet in person – October – in person/hybrid Gail is planning to be at Meany Middle school for the October meeting.
- Please visit: https://www.seattleschools.org/NativeEd
We encourage all parents and guardians of Seattle Public Schools Native American and Alaskan Native Students to attend. The role of the Title Vl Native Education Indian Parent Advisory Committee is to consult with and advise the Seattle School District on the development and operation of the Title Vl Program, assist in the development and approval of the Title Vl grant, and to help organize and conduct community cultural events, this is on hold due to the Corona Virus Covid-19, it’s important to know that the PAC helps to organize events and raise funds as well. By serving on the PAC parents and guardians of Native American/Alaskan Native Students in Seattle Public Schools can help decide the program goals and activities.
For information contact
Gail Morris email@example.com 206 252 0948