IPAC Meeting Minutes 6/10/21
Seattle Public Schools Native Education
Title Vl, Indian Parent Advisory Committee
Virtual Meeting Minutes
Thursday June 10, 2021
In attendance: Emma Medicine White Crow, Amy Markishtum, Jenny Miller, Donna Hale Wolcott, Gail Morris, Boo Balkan Foster, Shana Brown, Jenny Miller, Nancy Jo Bob, Evan Lott
IPAC Meeting 5:00-6:00
Meeting started at 5:08pm
- Greeting and Prayers – Emma
- Approve of May IPAC meeting minutes
motion to approve: Shana Brown
- End of Year:
Gail – thanked her team for their outstanding work. They made beautiful necklaces and certificates for students that are being mailed out. Seniors will be gifted drums, certificates, necklaces in person. One third of the students earned a GPA of 3.7 and will be gifted with woven Eighth Generation blankets.
- Native Ed tried to hire Mark and Mishella to help with regalia making, drumming and singing. Mark fell ill in April and left us on May 1st. Mishella is in mourning, but joined a small group of Native Ed staff to help with the end of the year gifts. Mishella would like to join us in the fall if possible for culture night. Native Ed has purchased material for regalia, ribbons, beads, and so on. Mark’s sons want to pick up where Mark left off and will take over mark’s spot to teach our kids to drum. Aiming for October.
motion to table until fall and appoint in September: Emma
- Native Ed update:
- Grant: $148,000 grant was announced last month officially on the website
- Student Committee to change racist school names:
- This will be a student led initiative to abolish systemic erasure of Native people. The goal is to offer suggestions of contemporary Native leaders to name the schools after instead. The goal would be to change five school names.
- IPAC parents were asked to provide the names of their students that would be interested in this committee (email Gail at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Students will research the origins of the names of the schools and select ones that they feel should be changed. Here is a place to begin the research:
- The first meeting will be September 9th, 4pm (an hour prior to the IPAC meeting at 5pm)
- We are hoping to have six to twelve students to lead this work. It will mean research, writing up proposals and presenting to the school board, supported by parents who choose to participate and Gail Morris. So far students who have been nominated are: Evan, Luken, Veronica, Paul, Jason. Please reach out and let us know of other students who may be interested.
- Student sub-committee tentatively first meeting an hour before IPAC meeting 4pm on September 9th, 2021.
Meeting ended at 5:55
Next meeting: September 9th, 5pm.
We encourage all parents and guardians of Seattle Public Schools Native American and Alaskan Native Students to attend. The role of the Title Vl Native Education Parent Advisory Committee is to consult with and advise the Seattle School District on the development and operation of the Title Vl Program, assist in the development and approval of the Title Vl grant, and to help organize and conduct community cultural events, it’s important to know that the PAC helps to organize events and raise funds as well. By serving on the PAC parents and guardians of Native American/Alaskan Native Students in Seattle Public Schools can help decide the program goals and activities.
For information contact: Gail Morris email@example.com 206 252 0948