IPAC Meeting Minutes – 2022/10/08
Seattle Public Schools Native Education
Title Vl, Indian Parent Advisory Committee (IPAC)
Thursday, October 8, 2022
In attendance: Emma Medicine White Crow, Amy Markishtum, Lisa McCaul, Tonia Galindo,
Gail Morris, Trina Nonis, Brian Vann, Donna HW, Clysta Cole, Boo Balkan Foster, Eric
Cunningham, Nick McDowell, Mary Kelsay
- Meeting started at 5:07pm
- Greeting and Prayer – Emma
- Approval of September 8, 2022 IPAC meeting minutes
- Motion to Approve: Trina
- Second: Donna
- Motion: passed
Indian Parent Advisory, 2022-23 Virtual Meeting Elections
- Members will need to have registered before meeting)
- All positions are open to parents/guardians of Native children with 506 forms in
- Seattle Public Schools.
- These positions are open: president, vice president secretary, and members at large
Native Education Update
- Grants update
- Gail will attend White House Policy Summit for IE
- New hires: Levi Harter NHHS/JAMS, Brita Berry IA NHHS/JAMS
- Giving away 15 laptops to graduated seniors (1 per family/parents)
- Holiday gift giving prep and signing up for Toys for Tots (Lisa and Gail to go up to Daybreak to have Holiday Gathering for this year) Looking for partnerships (RES or UIAT?)
- Funding up to 35 families to fund for Thanksgiving
- Culture Night Update: personal service contract being filled out before planning can commence
- Native American Heritage Month (ready to go on the web site and info pushed out to faculty education) Put out a call for storytellers for webinars.
Dr. Harris will ensure Clysta’s Posthumous Diploma bill will reach all WA State school board
At Highline School Board meeting in November, Clysta will receive diploma.
Rainier may create a mini pow wow for South end of Seattle.
Meeting ended at 6:15pm.
Next Meeting will be November 10, 2022
We encourage all parents and guardians of Seattle Public Schools Native American and Alaskan
Native Students to attend. The role of the Title Vl Native Education Parent Advisory Committee is to
consult with and advise the Seattle School District on the development and operation of the Title Vl
Program, assist in the development and approval of the Title Vl grant, and to help organize and conduct community cultural events, it’s important to know that the PAC helps to organize events and raise funds as well. By serving on the PAC parents and guardians of Native American/Alaskan Native Students in Seattle Public Schools can help decide the program goals and activities.
For information contact Gail Morris email@example.com 206-252-0948