IPAC Meeting Minutes 12/10/20
Seattle Public Schools Native Education
Title Vl, Indian Parent Advisory Committee Meeting
Thursday December 10, 2020
In attendance: Clysta Cole, Tonia Galindo, Emma Medicine White Crow, Amy Markishtum, Donna Hale Wolcott, Gail Morris, Boo Balkan Foster, Shana Brown, Kenneth Whitten, Nancy Jo Bob, Sarah Sbardella, We-Kus Yellowbird
Not in attendance: Jennifer Eaglespeaker (working), Jenny Bill Youngman (called)
- Meeting began at 5pm
- Welcome from Clysta Cole IPAC president
- Prayer from Emma
- Christmas for families
- Clysta has submitted a request for Toys for Tots. They did confirm that it has been received. We now wait to hear if/when we will get them. Native Ed staff is only working next week and then off for the holiday for two weeks. We are looking at distribution sites rather than delivering gifts.
- Gift Cards – Native Ed has a limited number of gift cards that will be distributed to those families most in need.
- Gift Card Request Form – Nancy Jo shared an online form to submit a request for gift cards. 506 forms are required as those are the families that. We will add a link directly to 506 form.
- Christmas Card – Can we include a Christmas card from the IPAC? Gail will check to see how we might do this.
- IPAC Meeting Invitations – The invitation to our IPAC meeting went out to over 650 people.
- Approval of November minutes
- Student rep responsibilities ? ideas?
- Emma: suggested that we ask the youth what they would like to see
- Shana: we need to offer some guidance. Who do they report to? What sort of input are we asking of them? Is it just reporting back to the IPAC? Or, do we want them to be ambassadors? What?s important to them?
- Gail is asking for a list of the students
- Gail: Perhaps a letter from students to Superintendent Juneau
- Perhaps we could reach out to Suquamish and Muckleshoot to see if our students could join their student leaders to see what sort of activities they are participating in?
- Clysta ? would love to have the IPAC be a group to support our student leaders
- Can students write letters to the school board to request what they want? (STI? Better American history curricula?)
- How are students notified about opportunities for Native Students?
- Subcommittee for empowering our student leaders
Motion: Shana Brown
- Who would like to be on the Student Empowerment Leadership Subcommittee?
Shana, Emma, We-Kus, Tonia, Donna, Clysta
- Reminder: Special Education meeting. December 15, Tonia and Donna to attend.
- Discussing how we can implement more ways to reach our communities outside of the website. This item was moved to the next meeting due to time
Meeting ended at 6pm with a blessing from Emma
We encourage all parents and guardians of Seattle Public Schools Native American and Alaskan Native Students to attend. The role of the Title Vl Native Education Indian Parent Advisory Committee is to consult with and advise the Seattle School District on the development and operation of the Title Vl Program, assist in the development and approval of the Title Vl grant, and to help organize and conduct community cultural events, this is on hold due to the Corona Virus Covid-19, it?s important to know that the PAC helps to organize events and raise funds as well. By serving on the PAC parents and guardians of Native American/Alaskan Native Students in Seattle Public Schools can help decide the program goals and activities.
For information contact
Gail Morris firstname.lastname@example.org 206 252 0948