IPAC Meeting Minutes 10/8/20
Seattle Public Schools Native Education
Title Vl, Indian Parent Committee Meeting
Thursday October 8, 2020
Online – Teams
In attendance: Emma Medicine White Crow, Amy Markishtum, Stacia Hawkinson, Jesus Lafrombois, Kenneth Whitten, Florence K. Fiddler, Karama Blackhorn, Clysta Cole, Kateri Joe, Boo Balkan Foster, Shana Brown, Donna Hale-Wolcott, Gail Morris, Jennifer Youngman, Ron Whitener, Chandra Hampson, Jenny Miller, Shawn, Tonia Galindo, Lauren Fonoimoana, Mary Kelsay, Daria Mack, Robin Wilson, Laila Brewer, Karen Wolf, Shondee & Tracy
Meeting started at 5:00 pm.
Welcome and prayer by Emma Medicine White Crow
- Approve minutes from September 10, 2020 with two changes. Correcting the spelling of Lushootseed and mentioning that the terms PAC, IPC and IPAC are interchangeable.
- IPAC virtual elections
Our bylaws state that we will have a secret ballot for our elections. Due to COVID-19 we had to find an online method. Shana Brown researched and found a way to do this. Shana Brown explained the process for voting. Eligible voters were sent an email to the website and a ?key? to enter their votes. Because the emails containing the individual ?keys? was slow to get to voters, Shana Brown made a motion to extend voting for one day. Second: Clysta Cole. Motion passed
- Nominees were given an opportunity to speak.
- Clysta Cole was nominated for president and read her statement
- Tonia Galindo was nominated for vice-president and since she couldn?t unmute herself Shana Brown read her statement.
- Jennifer Youngman was nominated for Teacher Representative and spoke to the group
- Karen Wolf, was nominated for Teacher Representative. She joined the meeting but didn?t speak. Robin Wilson, the person who nominated her commented on Karen?s background and this was shared with the group.
- There were no nominations for the secretary. There were a couple of people that volunteered. We will need to ensure their eligibility.
- Voters were asked to enter names for ?Member at Large? positions as write ins, on their ballot
- The following Student Representatives were nominated in the chat of the meeting: Elizabeth Brown, Ingraham, Nativia Cole, Rainier Beach, Aiden Galindo, Whitman, JJ Galindo, Northgate,
- A parent mentioned that they have filled out the 506 form every year but it never seems to get from the school office to the Native Education office. Another parent mentioned that she tells her school office every year to be sure to send the forms to Native Education because in her experience schools often, mistakenly, place the forms in the student files.
- It was reported that some people attempted to call in but weren?t able to join. Everyone was admitted that showed up as waiting in the lobby.
- Karama Blackhorn, Seattle Public Schools employee asked Kateri Joe to speak, who works for Treehouse, a nonprofit that works to improve academic outcomes for youth in foster care came to the meeting and asked to share her work. She also works with a grandparents program and her work with Urban Native Education Alliance. Youth connect to Elders.
We encourage all parents and guardians of Seattle Public Schools Native American and Alaskan Native Students to attend. The role of the Title Vl Native Education Parent Advisory Committee is to consult with and advise the Seattle School District on the development and operation of the Title Vl Program, assist in the development and approval of the Title Vl grant, and to help organize and conduct community cultural events, it?s important to know that the PAC helps to organize events and raise funds as well. By serving on the PAC parents and guardians of Native American/Alaskan Native Students in Seattle Public Schools can help decide the program goals and activities.
For information contact
Meeting ended at 6:27 pm
Minutes submitted by Amy Markishtum IPC Secretary