Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    I'm a vendor and want to get on a vendor list for Seattle Public Schools. What do I need to do?

    The Seattle School District does not maintain vendor lists for prospective vendors for general procurement of goods and services.

    The district advertises bids, RFP's (Requests for Proposals), and RFQ's (Requests for Qualifications) in the Daily Journal of Commerce.

    The district also places notices on the District's Current Solicitations page as well.

    Competitive solicitations for construction and for many services are also advertised on Builders Exchange

    It is the vendor's responsibility to check these websites and to follow the instructions given for each bid, RFP, or RFQ.

    What kinds of procurement does the District advertise?

    The district advertises for construction bids, some products including food, and some services, such as waste management.

    The district does not advertise for goods or services of low dollar values that fall below State of Washington or district thresholds for publicly advertised bids.

    The state law which governs procurement for the District, RCW 28A.335.190 is described on the Washington State Legislature website

    I'm a vendor and I want to contact someone at a school or the central office to sell my product. What do I need to do?

    Vendors are asked to be mindful of the primary mission of schools, which is to educate students. All visitors to schools, programs, or classrooms must obtain prior permission of the principal, program manager, or supervisor in charge, and are required to sign in at the main office.

    It is up to each principal or administrator as to whether or not he/she wishes to meet with the vendor.

    I'm a vendor and I want to talk to someone in Purchasing about my product. What do I need to do?

    Vendor representatives are welcome to contact Purchasing staff to introduce themselves and share information about available products and services.

    The best method is by an email to Seattle Public Schools Purchasing staff found on our Commodity Allocations page.

    The district requests that vendors refrain from selling district information to mailing lists or transmitting automated email messages. If this occurs, the messages will be labeled as email spam and deleted. Within the constraints of state law and School Board policy, Procurement staff will select vendors who provide the best value to the district on a case-by-case basis.

    Does the district use existing government contracts or Interlocal agreements for some contracts?

    Yes. The District has a number of strategic partners that can be found at the Interlocal Agreements page.

    I'm a vendor outside Washington state and have just received a Purchase Order for goods that also includes a fee for Washington State tax. My company does not charge or collect tax for out-of-state customers. Why is sales tax shown on your Purchase Order?

    The Washington State Department of Revenue requires the District to be liable for "use tax" regardless of the origin of goods, and whether or not an out-of-state vendor is required to collect the tax on behalf of Washington state.

    Does the district use sole source vendors?

    Yes, in some cases. Sole source purchases must meet the requirements of RCW 39.04.280, which is described on the Washington State Legislature website