Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    District Forms and Processes for Schools and Partners

    We know that navigating District processes and systems is often difficult for partners and school staff. Below you will find information on:

    1. Personal Services Contracts - contract between the district/schools and a community based organization where money is changing hands
    2. Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) - contract between the district/schools and a community based organization where no money is changing hands (the organization is bringing their own resources)
    3. Intent to Apply for Grants - information on the form that needs to be complete if a community organization is applying for a grant to work in partnership with a school
    4. Volunteering - information if you would like to volunteer as an individual (not as part of an organization)

    If you are looking for information on background check requirements, please visit our background checks page

    An important part of our Department’s work is to simplify and make more transparent the requirements of partners and the process of becoming a partner. We will continue to update this page with any new and relevant information. 

    We are moving towards a point when we will ask that all partners of Seattle Public Schools have a contract, MOU, or site agreement with the District and/or the school with which you are working. Below you will find information on the different types of contracts and agreements, and corresponding forms and requirements.

    Personal Services Contract

    If you are being paid to provide a program or service for students, families, or staff, you must have a Personal Services Contract with Seattle Public Schools.

    In order to execute a Personal Services Contract, the following documents are needed:

    1. Personal Services Contract
    2. IRS W-9 form for your organization
    3. A copy of your Washington State Business License
    4. Employee versus Independent Contractor Classification Checklist (complete sections 1,2, and 3, then return it to the school or district office to complete section 4).
    5. Bargaining Unit Checklist (fill in your organization name and tax ID, then return to school or District staff to complete section 1 and sign)
    6. A certificate of general liability insurance for at least $1 million per occurrence with Seattle Public Schools named as additional insured.
    7. For individuals, a resume or curriculum vitae showing that your education and experience qualify you for the contractor position.

    You may need to provide background check records, depending on what type of service you are providing. This can be done by drafting a brief letter (1-2 sentences) on letterhead describing what form of background check the staff person/people have undergone, including the name of the company. Visit our background checks page for more information.

    Memorandum of Understanding

    If a partnership is serving a school free of charge (bringing their own funding), there must be a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the partner and the school/s. In partnership with SPS legal, School and Community Partnerships has developed a MOU template that includes a scope of work, measurable goals for the partnership, and a plan for ongoing communication. To get a copy of the latest MOU template, email Rivka Burstein-Stern at The School and Community Partnerships Department facilitates the creation of MOUs, so please contact us to help you complete the template and circulate for signatures at

    Intent to Apply for Grants

    The purpose of the Intent to Apply form is to ensure that grant-funded partnerships are initiated with a consistent and transparent process, and that resources are deployed in coordination and alignment with SPS schools, priorities, and initiatives. The form requests basic information on the grant application, including the funder, grant amount, and schools/departments that are associated with the grant should funding be awarded.

    Upon completing this form, please submit it via email to


    If you are interested in volunteering as an individual, not affiliated with another community partner, you must complete the SPS volunteer requirements.  You’ll find details and relevant forms on our volunteer page.

    If you are interested in volunteering with an organization supporting SPS programs and activities, please work directly with the associated community based partner.