Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Human Resources: Labor and Employee Relations FAQs

    Where can I find the current Collective Bargaining Agreement for my union?

    Seattle Public Schools is comprised of 24 unions under 13 collective bargaining agreements.

    A complete list of all contracts bargained by Seattle Public Schools can be found on the Labor and Employee Relations webpage.

    How do I find where job openings are posted? Can I apply for a position in person? I don’t have access to a computer; can I turn in my resume to apply?

    Positions are posted as they become available on the careers webpage. Visit our careers webpage.

    You need to use a computer to complete an online job application. Here are some suggestions:

    • Come to the John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence lobby at 2445 3rd Avenue South, Seattle 98134, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and use one of the two available computers. You must have an email address in order to apply online. If you do not have one, you must create one prior to coming to JSCEE.
    • Use a public computer at a Seattle Public Library Branch (visit the Seattle Public Library website for more information).
    • Ask a family member or friend who has Internet access if you can use their computer.

    Where can I find out when semesters end?

    There is a complete list of work year calendars for the 2019-2020 school year available on our website. Visit our Work-year Calendar webpage for links to calendars.

    How can I find out when winter break is going to happen for the 2019-2020 school year?

    One of the new additions to the contract bargained with Seattle Education Association (SEA) this past summer of 2016 was the implementation of calendar rules.

    With these new rules, teachers, staff, parents and students will be able to predict exactly when school breaks will take place. The rules read as follows:

    • First day of school. The first Wednesday in September
    • State In-Service Day. As recognized by the state (typically the second Friday in October).
    • Winter Break. At least ten weekdays, ending after New Year’s Day. If New Year’s Day falls or is observed on a Monday, students will return to school on the next day (Tuesday).
    • Mid-Winter Break. President’s Day and the following four workdays.
    • Spring Break. Five days starting the second Monday in April.
    • Snow Make-Up Days. At least three snow days shall be scheduled, including the day between semesters, and the first two days following the last day of school in June. Additional snow make-up days may be added in June as necessary.
    • Holidays. Labor Day (when school begins before this day in September), Veteran’s Day (November), Thanksgiving Day (November), the day after Thanksgiving (November), Martin Luther King Jr. Day (January), President’s Day (February), and Memorial Day (May).
    • TRI Days. The four days immediately preceding the start of school, except for the Friday before Labor Day.
    • November. Three consecutive days for conferences immediately preceding Thanksgiving Day.

    What do I do if I’m having a problem with being harassed, intimidated or bullied? How do I put in a complaint?

    If you believe that you or your child has been discriminated against by the Seattle Public Schools or by a staff member to include one or more of the following protected classes: sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal, or if you believe that a staff member or student of the Seattle Public Schools has harassed, retaliated or bullied you or your child, you may complete the form.

    Submit this form to Human Resources at the John Stanford Center (JSCEE), 2445 3rd Avenue South or via mail to the following address: Office of Equity and Compliance, Human Resources, MS 33-157; P.O. Box 34165, Seattle, WA 98124-1165.

    I need to take a leave of absence to deal with a medical issue for myself or a family member. How do I get that process started?

    There are many types of employment leave. If you take an approved leave from the district, you will receive a letter from Human Resources designating the type of leave, how long it will last and other information relevant to your leave.

    Depending on the circumstances of your leave (and perhaps the terms of your Collective Bargaining Agreement), district contributions for benefits may continue for all or part of your leave.

    More information is available on the Leaves of Absence web page.

    When should I apply for a leave of absence?

    If you will be off work for more than 10 days, whether you have paid leave or not, you must apply for a leave of absence.

    This does not apply to employees who will be on approved vacation that is covered by their own accrued vacation/annual leave. If you do not have paid leave, or you may need to take extensive intermittent leave, you should apply for a leave of absence or an intermittent leave of absence.

    Generally speaking, the district considers absences over the course of the year that exceeds an employee’s annual frontload of sick/personal leave to be extensive.

    For more information, contact:

    How can I get information about applying for an ADA accommodation?

    To get information about the interactive accommodation request process and/or to apply for an ADA accommodation, send an email to

    You will receive a response email from the Labor and Employee Relations manager in charge of your accommodation inquiry who will be available to discuss the process and answer your questions.

    To move forward with an ADA accommodation request, the manager in charge of your accommodation will forward you a form that must be filled out by you and your medical provider. This form initiates the interactive accommodation process between you, your medical provider and the District, and provides the information that is necessary to determine if reasonable accommodation(s) can be provided that will help you perform all the essential functions of your job.

    Who do I contact for Labor/Employee Relations questions?

    For all general questions, send an email to Natalia Afonso at Natalia will respond in a timely manner.

    If I am a teacher, how do I submit my request for overage payment?

    Please download the form. Instructions and due dates are on the form. Visit the HR forms page (login required)

    The form is in the “Employment” section about halfway down the page. Click “General Ed”, "Special Ed" or "Elementary Specialists" to download the form. Please follow the instructions carefully and complete all fields. Payments are made at the end of each semester.

    • Forms to claim Oct. through Jan. overages are due by Feb 1 for payment on March 1.
    • Forms to claim Feb-Jun overages are due by July 1 for payment August 1.

    Your principal has to approve all overages before submitting to Human Resources. Overages are counted for only core classes.