Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Queen Anne Elementary School Addition

    Project Complete — School Opened September 2019

    This project was funded by the Building Excellence IV (BEX IV) Capital Levy, which was approved by Seattle voters in 2013.

    Timeline

    • Design work start: February 2016
    • Construction start: June 2018
    • School opened: Fall 2019

    About the Project

    The wooden school building originally opened in 1905. In 2011, the former John Hay School, known then as “Old Hay,” was modernized and re-opened to house a new option school, Queen Anne Elementary. The current brick building was completed in 1922 and continues to share the campus with the historic wood building. An addition was needed to increase the school’s classroom space and to add core facilities such as a gymnasium.

    This project constructed an addition to the 1922 brick building to increase the school’s capacity. It houses classroom space, a gymnasium, and new administration and office spaces.

    The addition provides 19,975 square feet and allow the school to accommodate 170 additional elementary students as well as increase core facilities, including a gymnasium to better meet student and school needs. Total capacity will be 500 students. There are four kindergarten classrooms and three classrooms for grades 1-5 in the addition, and one renovated classroom in existing building.

    Design: Mahlum Architects

    Construction: Hensel Phelps Construction


    Queen Anne Elementary
    411 Boston St.
    Seattle, WA 98109

    School Website

    School Profile

    Construction Projects and Capital Levies News