Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    BRIDGES Frequently Asked Questions

    How Do I Get More Information?

    First, please attend the BRIDGES program information night, which occurs annually in the fall. Interpreters will be available upon request. Meet transition teachers, adult-service agency providers, and ask questions!

    For more information about BRIDGES, please contact:
    Sherry Studley
    BRIDGES Principal and Supervisor of Transition Services

    In addition to our program information night, you can arrange for a visit to one or more of the BRIDGES sites or speak with one of the BRIDGES teachers or central district staff about the program.
    You can find staff contact information on our department contacts webpage.

    What are ways families can support their young adult?

    Involvement by a student's parents and family is crucial in assuring the successful transition from school to community.  Some ways to support your young adult in this process include:

    • Participate in planning meetings (as appropriate).
    • Assist your young adult in exploring the community in the context of possible employment options.
    • Apply for adult-service agency services such as Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA), Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), and Social Security Disability Income.
    • Go to the King County sponsored transition resource fairs in March.
    • Learn about the King County School-to-Work program.
    • Research various job vendors and employment agencies.
    • Learn about Age of Majority and Guardianship.
    • Help your young adult self-advocate.
    • Research various vocational and residential options as well as other resources. Once they leave the school system, most young adults with developmental disabilities will obtain part-time employment and will need to occupy their time in a healthy way.
    • Continue to work with your young adult on independent living skills such as personal hygiene, transit training, household care, and money management.
    • Support compliance with business/community dress code.
    • Provide funds for community/recreational activities
    • Connect with community organizations such as the ARC of King County.
    • Be flexible, willing to take reasonable risks, and experiment

    How can families support their young adult after they leave school?

    View from DVR offices at Pac Med Building

    One essential component of 18-21 transition programs is interagency collaboration with adult services.  While students are in school, families may have come to rely on the school system to provide training, transportation, specialized health services, extracurricular activities, etc.

    Once a student leaves school, these services are no longer provided by the school district and this support must be sought out by students and families. Establishing connections with community agencies before the student leaves school is highly recommended.

    The BRIDGES programs often collaborate with and make referrals to the following agencies:

    Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

    King County Developmental Disabilities Division (DDD)

    School-to-Work Program

    Arc of King County

    Washington Initiative for Supported Employment (WISE)