How to Register for Preschool, Kindergarten or First Grade
- To enter kindergarten in the 2017-18 school year, your child must be five years old on or before August 31.
- For Grade 1, your child must be six years old on or before August 31.
- You will need to show a birth certificate for your child (or a similar document, such as a passport, that shows birthdate).
You will need to show a birth certificate for your child (or a similar document, such as a passport, that shows birthdate).
How to Register
- Download and fill out the forms below.
- Gather and copy other required documents.
- Submit all materials by email, in person, mail or by fax:
In person: Service Center address and hours in the right column
SPS Service Center
PO Box 34165
Seattle, WA 98124-1165
You can watch a video on our main page that shows the entire process.
Registration Forms and other items needed
Click on the form name to download it. Please read the instructions for each item. The Service Center will be happy to help or answer questions. Other forms you might want to fill out are at the bottom of the page.
Chinese, Somali, Spanish, Vietnamese
- Fill in all of the information and sign the form.
- If you have a guardianship or parenting plan, attach any related court documents
Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) form
- The State of Washington requires that you use the official form
- You must sign the form (student's parent/guardian)
Special Education form
- This form is for students who have an Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Information about Special Education
You will also need:
Photo identification (for the parent or guardian registering the student). Please include a photocopy when submitting the application packet, not the original.
Two address verification documents
- Must contain the parent/guardian's name
- Must be dated in the past 8 weeks
- Examples include copies of: current telephone, utility or cable bills; mortgage information; insurance documents; or documents from public agencies such as courts or DSHS. Lease or rental agreements can be used if you include the first page and the signature page.
- Copies of envelopes are not acceptable for address verification
Birth Certificate or similar document such as passport
- The document must show the student's birth date
Attendance Area Schools
You can see the current attendance area for your address using the Address Lookup Tool.
Other School Choices
After your child is registered for school, you may apply for School Choice during the Open Enrollment period. This is your opportunity to apply to have your student attend a different attendance area school, an option school, or programs such as Montessori, Spectrum,and Highly Capable (formerly APP). Open Enrollment is typically near the end of February.
You can find out about other schools by looking at each school in the School Directory.
Other Helpful Forms
These forms are not required for registration, but you may want to fill them out and turn them in.