Positive Climate and
Discipline Advisory Committee
The Positive Climate and Discipline Advisory Committee has been formed to advise the Superintendent of Seattle School District on a school climate and discipline management system that enhances learning, equity, self-discipline, school attendance and connectedness while ensuring a safe, civil and positive learning environment.
The committee will advise the Superintendent and make recommendations to enhance school climate, develop appropriate options for behavior management standards and disciplinary sanctions that will reduce disproportionality and increase prosocial behavior, review and advise on progressive discipline programs, and advise on accountability systems.
The goals and objectives of the committee are to:
- Make recommendations to enhance a positive school climate
- Review results of existing school climate documents
- Review established research on school climate and for improving school climate
- Use results of school climate reports and established research as basis for recommendations to Seattle Schools.
- Consider student instructional systems that contribute to preventing misbehavior rather just addressing it after it occurs.
- Advise on culturally appropriate preventive measures as well as culturally appropriate intervention systems.
- Develop appropriate options for behavior management standards and disciplinary sanctions that will reduce disproportionality and increase pro-social behavior
- Use established research to determine age/developmentally appropriate disciplinary options and site-based behavior management techniques
- Identify appropriate alternatives to suspension and expulsion for school-based disciplinary actions, including culturally appropriate alternatives
- Support creative site-based behavior management techniques that successfully prevent or change (improve) student behavior while maintaining disciplinary consistency across schools
- Examine options to ensure they usefully address disproportionality and lead to appropriate pro-social behavior
- Review and advise on progressive discipline programs
- Review the standard discipline charts to ensure that they address the standards developed in Goals 1 and 2.
- Ensure that progressive discipline ideas are age/developmentally appropriate before recommending use in schools.
- Advise on accountability systems
- Recommend and/or devise accountability systems that measure both preventative and reactive school discipline behaviors and activities
- Recommend appropriate changes to climate surveys to better measure effects of changes in prevention and intervention actions.
The Superintendent is currently seeking to recruit new members for the Positive Climate and Discipline Advisory Committee to the Superintendent (PCDAC)for a two year term.
Invitation Letter PCDAC Nomination Form Committee Description
The Positive Climate and Discipline Advisory Committee meets monthly on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm.
May 28, 2013 Agenda Minutes Handouts
June 25, 2013 Agenda Minutes Handouts
August 27, 2013 Minutes Handouts
October 29, 2013 Agenda Minutes
December 9, 2013 (Monday) Agenda Minutes
January 28, 2014 Agenda
February 25, 2014 Agenda
March 25, 2014 Agenda
April 22, 2014
May 27, 2014
June 24, 2014