Full Day Kindergarten for school year 2014-15
Full Day Kindergarten Fees
This is not the Kindergarten enrollment page. Enrollment info can be found at http://www.seattleschools.org/enrollment. This page only deals with full day kindergarten fees.
The Fees for full day kindergarten(FDK) for school year 2014-15 will be $2,840 per year, payable in 10 equal monthly installments of $284, or a lump sum of $2,840, or two equal lump sums of $1,420 each(in Sept and Feb). There are no fees for half day kindergarten.
Seattle Public Schools offers full-day kindergarten, which provides young learners the time they need to engage in learning and build the social and academic skills they need to support learning throughout their education. Research shows that children participating in developmentally appropriate, full-day kindergarten make greater gains both socially and academically.
However, Washington State does not provide enough funding to pay for full day kindergarten for all of our kindergarteners. As a result, only some of the schools are fully-funded and therefore do not charge a fee, while the other schools are fee-based. There is a total of 44 schools that do not charge FDK fees, including a new school, Fairmount Park. (see list below). In other words, to make full day kindergarten available at all Seattle Schools, the district must recover the costs for the non-funded portion of the kindergarten day by charging families a fee at the fee-based schools. The rate for school year as described above is $2,840.00 per year.
Starting in July, Accounting Services will mail out a financial packet with a financial agreement and payment option forms(see the link to the Authorization for Direct Payments form highlighted below) to the household of every kindergarten student, enrolled in a fee-paying school(see list of schools below). If your student enrolls after the beginning of the school year, please contact District Accounting (contact info listed below) for a copy of the agreement and forms to be completed and returned to SPS Accounting Services promptly. Do 'Not' send in a School year 2014-2015 full day kindergarten program participation fee payment without your signed agreement and forms.
General Payment Information
The fee for full day kindergarten for the current 2014-15 school year is $2,840.00. This can be paid in 10 monthly installments of $284.00 a month. Monthly payments are due by the 1st of each month from Sept. 1, 2014 through June 1, 2015. Families can also pay the entire amount of in advance. (Please note limited waivers, listed below), or in two equal installments of $1,420 each.
Seattle Public Schools now offers convenient automatic monthly payments directly from your bank account on the 5th of each school month. We are asking all families to sign up for this program, using the Authorization for Direct Payments form (ACH direct bank withdrawal).
If any monthly fee due is not processed by ACH, due to late enrollment, or for any other reason, please send in acheck for the unpaid monthly fees amount to : Seattle Public Schools, Attn: Full Day Kindergarten, MS 33-343, PO Box 34165, Seattle, WA 98124-1165, indicating student name, student ID number and school name on the check, plus (2)An aforementioned, signed Authorization for Direct Payments form for future ACH withdrawal, if not already sent.
For any payment question, please call District Accounting at 206-252-0275 or email FullDayK@Seattleschools.org
Automatic bank withdrawal (ACH) is most convenient and cost effective for both parents and district and is the preferred payment method. However, if it is not possible, payment can be made by checks, as described above, or by credit card(via www.PayPams.com). Credit card payments involve a processing fee.
Parents/Guardians are responsible for payment by the first of each month, if fees are not fully paid or paid in two installments in Sept and Feb. Parents/Guardians will not be invoiced monthly. However, a quarterly statement will be sent to their mailing address. Accounts that are 90 days overdue will be sent to Collection, whereupon collection fees (20%) and interest will be assessed.
The Kindergarten fee is only waived for:
- All students at certain schools that are fully funded by the State, as aforementioned. (See below for a list of such fully funded schools that offer free full day kindergarten).
- Students that have applied and been approved by Nutrition Services for Free/Reduced priced meals (FRPM). The waiver is only effective for the months that the FRPM application is on eligibility approved status, and is not applied retroactively before the date of approval. Therefore, it is very important to apply for FRPM as soon as possible. For confidentiality reasons, applicants must also sign and return a consent form to share eligibility status (front page of FRPM application) and check off the box for Full-day kindergarten program in order for District Accounting to verify eligibility for this waiver. Therefore, please be sure fill out the front page of the FRPM application form. (However, do not submit the FRPM application until August 2013. The new application form for SY 2013-14 is not updated until early August 2013, and will be mailed to all enrolled K student households then. Do not submit the wrong year application form). Click link here for info and the FRPM application form.
- Students who are approved for Free/Reduced priced meals by being "directly-certified" through DSHS. A free and reduced meal application(with the front-page consent form included) is still necessary to obtain the kindergarten fee waiver. See link provided above.
- Students that are homeless.
- Special education students whose Individualized Education Program (IEP) minutes (excluding transportation) are greater than a half day on average. (Conversely, if for a month, a student's daily IEP plan minutes are on average equal to or less than 1/2 day, that month's fees are not waived)
- Students who are required by the district to repeat the kindergarten year.
- Active military personnel assigned to government housing in Seattle.
Unfortunately, the district cannot offer scholarships, and no fee discount or waiver is provided unless a student meets the above specific requirements. No fee discount or waiver is allowed for Special Education students whose IEP minutes are less than half day, Bilingual Education students, twins and multiples, Language immersion or Montessori kindergarten students.
Any Kindergarten fees paid are not considered child care expenses or charitable contributions. Please consult your own tax advisor for more information.
For a list of frequently asked questions about full day kindergarten, click here. If you have any questions, please contact Accounting Department(preferably via email FullDayK@SeattleSchools.org, or call 206-252-0275.)
Half-Day Kindergarten/Language Immersion
- Students can opt to enroll for half-day program participation, which is free of charge. Most schools can accommodate kindergarten students who choose to attend for half of the program day. Please talk with the principal if you are interested in half-day participation only. Please also notify, after approval, in writing, SPS District Accounting Department at: PO Box 34165, MS 33-343, Seattle, WA 98124-1165 or email FullDayK@SeattleSchools.org.
- Students participating in a language immersion program must attend full day kindergarten, and pay the full day kindergarten program fees.
- There is a linked school or non-language immersion class at each school offering language immersion. Students assigned to John Stanford International or McDonald International schools may access free half-day kindergarten at B.F. Day. Students assigned to Concord International or Beacon Hill International schools may access free half-day kindergarten in the non-language immersion classroom.
Schools & Fees
|27 Fully State Funded - No Fees||17 Fully Learning Assistance Program (LAP) Funded - No Fees||25 Schools that Charge Full Day Kindergarten Program Fees|
|Beacon Hill International||ARBOR HEIGHTS||Bryant|
|Broadview Thomson K-8||BF DAY||Catherine Blaine K-8|
|Concord International||FAIRMOUNT PARK||Daniel Bagley|
|Dearborn Park||GATEWOOD||Frantz Coe|
|Emerson||HAZEL WOLF K-8||John Hay|
|Graham Hill||K-5 STEM @ Boren||John Stanford International|
|Highland Park||OLYMPIC VIEW||Laurelhurst|
|John Muir||ORCA K-8||Lawton|
|Kimball||PATHFINDER K-8||Loyal Heights|
|Leschi||JOHN ROGERS||McDonald International|
|Licton Springs K-8||SAND POINT||McGilvra|
|Maple||TOPS K-8||North Beach|
|Martin Luther King Jr||VIEWLANDS||Queen Anne|
|Olympic Hills||Salmon Bay K-8|
|Rainier View||Schmitz Park|
|South Shore K-8||Wedgwood|
|Thurgood Marshall||West Woodland|
|West Seattle Elementary|
Full Day Kindergarten for school year 2013-14
The fees for the school year was reduced by a School Board decision on Nov 20, 2013 from $3,110.00 to $2,830 per year, or ten $283.00 monthly installments, or a reduction of $28.00 per month retroactive to the beginning of the school year. The proper refunds or credits have all been made to families.
However, a number of schools were fully funded by the State and require no kindergarten fees. During the school year, 16 additional schools became fully-funded, for a total of 43 such schools that provided fully-funded, fee-exempt kindergarten classes. At the beginning of the 2013-14 school year, there were 27 such schools. However, starting November 1, 2013, due to additional state funding, 16 more schools are added to the "fee-free school" list, retroactive to the beginning of the school year, for a total of 43 fully-funded fee-exempted schools. As a result, District Accounting discontinued withdrawing any K fees from families in these 16 schools schools that have elected automatic electronic bank withdrawal, effective immediately. We refunded monies paid in by the families of students in these 16 schools.