PreK-3rd Early Learning DepartmentBailey Gatzert FREE PreK Classroom Still Enrolling
Gatzert's PreK classroom opened on January 20th. Teacher Daren Chamberlin and assistant teacher Ramona are teaming to create a wonderful, enriching learning environment for the school's newest learners. There are still a few spots available in this classroom of 20, and a waitlist will be maintained once the class is filled. Click on Bailey Gatzert PreK "Resources for Parents"in grey column to the right for more information.
Kindergarten Early Enrollment Events at 10 Elementary Schools
You may attend any event, no matter what school you live near and submit your registration form. You can enroll anytime in person at the John Stanford Center. For more information, click here.
To apply for a school outside your attendance area, please
submit a Choice Form between Feb. 23 - March 6
during CHOICE ENROLLMENT. (Choice forms are available 2/23 on.)
What to bring to enroll in Seattle Public Schools:
- Birth certificate or passport (K - 1st grade only)
- Certificate of Immunization (CIS) (vaccinations record)
- 2 documents showing current address with parent name, dated last 8 weeks (like cable or light bill, paycheck stub, DSHS, transitional housing letter, rental lease, etc.)
- Photo ID of parent/guardian
- SPS admission form (get at an event or download at www.seattleschools.org/enrollment)
More information: 252-0760
JUMP START Kindergarten Transition Week Set for August 17-21
If your child starts Kindergarten in September, please reserve the week of 8/17-21 (9 am - 12 pm) for Jump Start. Most but not all SPS elementary schools participate so call your school to check.
Jump Start is a half-day Kindergarten "camp" that gives children and their families a chance to learn about their new school. Children will gain confidence as they make new friends, practice kindergarten routines, sing and hear stories, and get to know teachers and staff. Jump Start is FREE and all new Kindergarteners at participating schools are invited. Schools will send sign-up information to families of newly enrolled K students in May. A list of participating schools is coming soon.
See videos from Jump Start 2014 below!
Deaborn Park International School - Jump Start
Dearborn Park - 2 min Version
Stevens Elementary School - Jump Start
JUMP START: Free Summer Transition Week for New Kindergarten Students Mid August 2015 at multiple elementary schools. More information to come.
Kindergarten Readiness Guidelines Translated for Families
Seattle Public Schools and four other nearby school districts have collaborated to produce checklists for families to use to get an idea of what skills and activities are typical in our Kindergarten classrooms. These checklists are available in the following languages: English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Cambodian, Arabic, Marshallese, Somali, Oromo, Tigrigna and Amharic.
Parents and caregivers can assess whether their children are demonstrating these skills already or are working on developing them. The 6 areas and the individual skills are drawn from the WA Kindergarten Inventory of Developing Skills (WaKIDS). WaKIDS is used in many classrooms around the state to provide a snapshot of where kindergartners are in their development early in the school year. For more information, visit the state education office (OSPI) website: http://www.k12.wa.us/WaKIDS/About/default.aspxEarly Learning Programs & Initiatives
Through partnerships and collaboration, the Early Learning department seeks to create an equitable system of early education, anchored in cultural relevance, effective instruction and whole-child development. Our current efforts to create an equitable education for all children include:
- Seattle Public Schools Head Start (half day and full day models)
- South Shore Elementary - PreK-3rd Partnership with the New School Foundation
- Community Alignment Partner Programs - child care, before and after school care and community learning centers housed in Seattle Schools
- Seattle Schools PreK-3rd Professional Development
- PreK-3rd Partnership - a district/City of Seattle and private partnership for early learning.
Research has firmly established that investing in early learning yields powerful benefits for children; both in early elementary and in as a cornerstone to their overall educational success. Yet it is not enough to provide quality education for a year or two in a child’s early years. At Seattle Schools our vision is for every child to experience a quality, cohesive and joyful learning experience from PreK through 3rd grade that will provide the strong foundation needed to succeed in school and life.
Seattle Schools is committed to working with our partners to create a well‐aligned educational continuum providing access for all children to high quality, full-day PreK which is aligned to quality full day Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades. To realize this vision Seattle Schools, along with our private and City of Seattle partners have drafted a five year PreK-3rd Action Plan, with the following goals:
- Expand access to quality PreK and Full Day Kindergarten
- Increase quality of education across the PreK-3rd continuum
- Develop and implement aligned standard assessment tools and data systems
- Create seamless transitions across the continuum
- Increase support and Intervention for children who need it most
The short link for this page is http://bit.ly/SPSEarlyLearning