Contract Bargaining and Negotiations 2013
This website contains information for families, staff and community members related to negotiations between Seattle Public Schools (SPS) and the Seattle Education Association (SEA), which represents educators. A tentative agreement has been reached. SEA members are scheduled to vote on the agreement on Tuesday afternoon, September 3. If members approve the agreement, school will start as scheduled on September 4. We will continue to provide updates as new information is available via this website, telephone and email messages, Twitter @seapubschools, and alerts to community organizations as well as media.
Sept. 3 - SEA approves contracts, school starts on Sept. 4
On Tuesday evening, Seattle Education Association members voted to approve a two-year labor contract. School will start as scheduled on Wednesday, Sept. 4. Superintendent Banda thanks everyone involved in negotiating this agreement for their hard work and commitment to student success. He also hopes that all students, staff and families will have a great start to the school year! Please note: Kindergarten at some schools does not start until Monday, Sept. 9. Those schools have already let families know of the later start date.
Past messages and information updates
• Sept. 3 - SEA approves contracts, school starts on Sept. 4
• Sept. 3 - Statement from Superintendent Jose Banda regarding the Seattle Education Association vote to ratify contract
• Sept. 3 - Message from the Superintendent to all SPS employees
• Sept. 1 - Statement from Superintendent José Banda regarding tentative agreement between the Seatle Education Association and Seattle Public Schools
• August 31 - Message to SPS staff - preparations continue in event school does not open Sept. 4
• August 31 - Update to families - bargaining teams meeting daily but no agreement has been reached
• August 31 - City to provide free drop-in activities at community centers for some Seattle public school students in event of school strike
• August 27 – Message to families: Plan ahead in case school does not open on time
• August 23 – Highlights of negotiations