What is JUMP START?
Jump Start is a FREE week-long experience for Kindergartners to learn about school. Children will become familiar with their new school building, staff, typical school day activities and practices. Their parents/guardians will be able to meet with the school principal and ask questions about school. Teachers start to build relationships with students and observe their skills and strengths. Read about signs of a successful transition to Kindergarten here.
Jump Start aims to help young children:
- Experience joyful learning
- Learn school readiness behaviors
- Become more comfortable with the school environment
When and Where is JUMP START?
Jump Start takes place each morning the week of August 21-25 at 57 participating schools. All students assigned to participating schools are invited to attend!
- Jump Start will run for 5 consecutive half-days (9 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
- A parent/guardian meeting with the school principal is scheduled during the week
- Bilingual staff will assist children who are English-language learners
- Extra support is offered for children with special needs
- Some schools will offer snacks and lunch
- No transportation is provided, so families need to drop off and pick up children each day
How do we register for JUMP START?
In April, schools will send information about Jump Start to families. This will include a Jump Start registration and health form which you should complete and return to your school no later than June.