SPS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Below are links to questions that are asked most often. Click below are read the FAQs please follow the steps for how to make an inquiry or escalate a concern that you are having.

Enrollment and School Placement FAQ

If you have concerns about admission, transfer or other concerns related to your students placement you should first contact the Enrollment Dept. to discuss your concern. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome you should ask to set up a time to speak with the supervisor to discuss your concern further.

Enrollment Dept. 206.252. 0760 --> Supervisor Contact Phone: 206.252.0205

School Transportation FAQ

If you have a transportation concern or complaint you will want to contact the transportation office by email at transdept@seattleschools.org or 206-252-0900.

Be prepared to report the following information:

  • Bus route, date/time that the incident occurred
  • Explanation of the incident

If you want a response to the investigation you will need to leave your name and contact information. If you don't hear back from someone or if you are unsatisfied with the outcomes you can escalate your concern to the transportation supervisor by calling 206.252

Special Education FAQ (COMING SOON)

If you have a question about special education services that you couldn't get an answer to at the school level OR if you have a concern regarding Special Education Services that you are your student is receiving you can reach out to the Special Education ombudsman to ask your question or express your concerns. The Special Education Ombudsman will work with you on options and intervene when appropriate to help you work toward a resolution.

Sped Ombudsperson: 206.252.0794 or SpedOmbuds@seattleSchools.org

Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault (Title IV) FAQ

If you are not sure whether you should make a formal complaint, you can consult the Title IX coordinator. The Title IX coordinator can help you decide if any action needs to be taken and how best to address your situation.

Title IV Coordinator: 206-252-0367 or Title.IX@seattleschools.org.

If you believe that you or an SPS student or staff member has been sexually harassed or sexually assaulted, you can report the incident(s) to any school staff member or the District's Title IX Coordinator. Read the definitions of sexual assault and sexual harassment on our What is Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment webpage.

You can also follow the instructions below to file a complaint or click here for more info.

  1. Open the SPS Sexual Harassment Complaint Form
  2. Please complete all sections of the form.
  3. Be as specific as possible when discussing the incidents. Your complaint is not limited to the space provided. You are encouraged to attach additional materials, which may assist in the investigation process.
  4. Please be sure to include the:
    • the date(s),
    • the incident(s) that occurred,
    • the name(s) of the person(s) involved, and
    • the name(s) of those who may have witnessed the incident(s).
  5. Sign it and deliver the original form to either the District Title IX Coordinator or any school principal.

Rights and Responsibilities FAQ

This group of questions seeks to answer questions about student rights and responsibilities and how the ombudsperson can help resolve concerns.

Students, as citizens, have certain constitutional rights and the school system cannot unduly infringe on those rights. The schools may, however set some reasonable limits on those rights in order to meet the district’s obligation to educate. Visit the Ombudsperson's Student Rights and Responsibilities Frequently Asked Questions.

© Seattle Public SchoolsWebsite by SchoolMessenger Presence opens a new window. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.