School Choice Surveys
Thank you for participating in the 2016-17 Open Enrollment/School Choice for Seattle Public Schools; in order to better serve each and every family equitably, we are asking for suggestions and feedback on our Open Enrollment/School Choice process. Please complete these surveys below to partner with us in making improvements for the Open Enrollment/School Choice process:
- Admission Staff Experience
- School Choice Experience
School Choice Process
There are three phases to the Seattle Public Schools school choice process:
If you are new to SPS, you will need to bring the child's birth certificate, updated immunization record, and two pieces of address verification of Seattle residency to the Admissions Center.
Refer to the appropriate list of what you should plan to bring with you:
You can learn more about how neighborhood based student assignment works, including how to take advantage of features such as sibling priority by reading the Student Assignment Plan.
School Choice (Optional)
Open Enrollment (February 17-March 1, 2016) was the best opportunity to request a different school or program for your student. However, school choice applications for 2016-17 may be submitted through May 31, 2016. Any choice application received after March 1 are considered late and do not receive priority tiebreakers. Click here to download our Open Enrollment Fact Sheet.
You can choose to apply for another attendance area school, including K-8 schools; an option school; or programs such as Montessori, Spectrum, and Highly Capable Cohort.
To apply for school choice, your student will need to submit a choice application. You may list several choices in order of preference. Students may apply for any combination of attendance area schools and/or option schools.
It is NOT guaranteed that you will get your school choice; you are ONLY guaranteed assignment to your neighborhood attendance area school. Click here to look up your neighborhood attendance area school.
If your student is attending a choice school (a school other than their attendance area school), they may remain at that school through the highest grade served. However, IF your student submits a new choice application AND they receive a new choice assignment, they will assigned to that new choice school automatically.
After completing registration, and school choice if desired, your student(s) will receive their assignment(s). All neighborhood attendance area school assignments are made in real time with the exception of certain enrollment cases that require additional services and documentation. Click here to use the Assignment Lookup Tool. To use the tool, you will need your student's identification number and birth date.
- December 1, 2015: Registration for 2016-17 begins.
- February 10, 2016: School Choice forms are available online.
- February 17, 2016: School Choice and Open Enrollment begins.
- March 1, 2016: Open Enrollment ends- any choice applications received after March 1 are late and do not receive priority tiebreakers.
- April 15, 2016: Results of Open Enrollment are available online through the Assignment Lookup Tool.
- Late-April 2016: Students who receive a new assignment through Open Enrollment are also mailed a result letter.
- May 31, 2016: School Choice ends. All school choice applications are due- choice applications are not accepted after this date. Waitlist moves may occur after May 31 to avoid staff disruption or in the event that program notifications have not been completed by that time.
- August 15, 2016: All school and program waitlists are dissolved.
2016-17 School Choice Forms
Historical Choice Data
Would you like to know how many students applied for school choice last year?
Or the number of students who remained on a waitlist when it was dissolved?
Section 2 of the Annual Enrollment Report, produced by Enrollment Planning, contains detailed historical choice data for each school. This page also contains a different visual format of 2015-16 school choice data that was presented at the Option School Admissions Fair in January 2016.
Last updated: 5/12/2016