Seattle Public Schools & Seattle Education Association
The Seattle Public Schools (SPS) Department of Equity and Race Relations (DERR), in partnership with the City of Seattle Race and Social Justice Initiative (RSJI) and the Racial Disproportionality in Discipline Committee, Phase III is part of a five-year comprehensive and coherent plan to institutionalize educational and racial equity in our schools as mandated by SPS Ensuring Educational and Racial Equity Policy No. 0030.
The goal of the implementation of Racial Equity Teams is to support a school-led effort to create a strong, sustainable and effective Racial Equity Team to advance racial equity by:
- Aligning with District-wide efforts to implement the ”Ensuring Educational and Racial Equity” Policy to eliminate racial disproportionality in graduation and discipline rates,
- Building capacity among principal, teachers, staff, and students in transforming school policies and practices,
- Strengthening the voices and participation of students, families and community to inform school policies, practices and procedures.
Phase III (now overseen by the Partnership Committee) is in the planning stages.
- SPS/SEA Racial Equity Team applications will be accepted in September.
- Principals from selected schools will be notified by October.
- Phase III Racial Equity Teams will begin Racial Equity Institute by early November.